My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Dodge Durango 4X4
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'all,

So this time I am asking for prayers for our old curmudgeon cat who is 16 now. She was taken to the doctor (vet) today, and the results are not really looking that good right now although they could and hopefully will change. We first noticed she was a little skinnier than normal so we decided it was time to bring her to the doctor.

We brought her to the vet, sure enough she lost 3 pounds and is now 6 pounds where as she used to be 9 pounds. The vet said that she is dehydrated, has constipation, and a sort of lump like mass thing near her stomach and rib-cage. They took x-rays and the good news is that they said it is not the kidneys, BUT it's either the liver or stomach. They don't really know if it is cancer or a tumor or not though at this time, they did take bloodwork and they will let us know the results and what they suggest by Thursday. Until then we will give her wet food only from now on, before this we would give her both wet and dry but we are thinking mainly wet at this point.

I just hope it is not cancer or a tumor, she doesn't soon pass on, and bounces back like my grandfather as I love her and I would be devastated without her as she is my best friend and part of the family. I almost started crying when they gave us this news and am almost crying typing this.

Well all this said, I will keep y'all updated on the bloodwork and everything.

I ask that y'all please keep my family and I and especially our cat in y'all's prayers, it would mean a lot. Thank you.

How would I be able to live without this cutie in my life....
20210201_195355.jpg
20210126_150701.jpg
20210125_211637.jpg
20201227_115112.jpg
20201223_143155.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,087 Posts
Hey Eric... sorry she's flagging.

But, as a long time cat lover and keeper, I've sent many on ahead to Kitty Valhalla. It's never easy, but giving them kindness and dignity at the end is the very least we owe them for all the smiles they give us during their short lives.

Sixteen years is a pretty decent run... if I were a praying guy I'd pray that you can steel yourself to do the right thing by her and let her out before she suffers. As their masters and their Gods... it's our responsibility.

Rooting for you both, take care.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,222 Posts
Positive thoughts sent your way. Always tough with loved ones.

·
Super Moderator
35,925 Posts
Sorry to hear that your cat isn't doing well, hopefully it's something that the vet can take care of. Prayers for you and your family as you deal with this issue. Our pets are part of the family and letting them go when the time comes isn't easy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry to hear that your cat is sick, at least you don't feel that you caused her illness. I lost my cat late last fall after giving a dose of wormer which I have done many times without and problems. All we can do is make them comfortable as possible.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
You have my prayers...been there,as far as facing the same situation..:(
Cats can bounce back from near death rapidly sometimes--I had two that lived much longer than I thought after they looked to be on death's doorstep more than one..

I hate to sound crass,but you'd best prepare for the worst..most cats are lucky to live 10-12 years even under ideal conditions..

Believe me ,I know how bad it hurts to lose a long time companion..been thru it too many times myself..

I lost my cat "Puff-Puff"in November 2019,and she was about 20 years old as far as I could determine by some photos my mom took of her when she got her...she was "mom's kitty" and though she liked me,I never felt very close to her,until my mom passed away...then it was just her & I after that..
Puff-Puff had 4 years of up and down poor health--at least 4 times I thought sure she was a gonner,but after a trip to the vet and changing her food,she bounced back many times...this of course kept me in a state of paranoia,that I'd have to face losing her in the not so distant future..

After my mom passed in late June 2013,my other cat "Kit-Kat" died on Dec.14th the same year,on a frigid snowy day,his age was unknown,but I had him 11 years,and he was probably ten at least when we got him...
I had to use a pickaxe to dig a grave for him in the frozen ground..:(

I think he had diabetes--he passed while sleeping under a chair sitting next to me..he hadn't been acting sick either,it came on suddenly..one day he just looked like he'd lost several pounds and was kind of nodding off in strange places--the next day he died..:(

Puff-Puffs condition was never diagnosed,but the vet said he could tell she had "end stage kidney failure" as early as 2016...
I spent a few thousand bucks getting her treatments and she did pretty well right up until the end..
I still miss her a great deal,she was a smart cat,had a great personality and was so cute,she was an all white short hair,but looked more like an Angora...she had many "tricks" and habits that were quite amusing..

I decided since I lack the funds to properly care for another pet's vet bills ,I wouldn't get another pet...it isn't fair to the pet,and the added responsibility of caring for one gets to be more of a burden as I age,I have a hard enough time keeping myself alive and"healthy"...also I don't want to face another "goodbye",I've had enough already..

That said,I hope your cat does recover and get to spend some more quality time with you...

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,449 Posts
Sorry to hear. Prayers for a favorable diagnosis and recovery.
As others have noted cats can bounce back pretty well. Our gray Tabitha had an issue (fatty liver) at 14, came home and lived to 22.
May god bless her.

·
Registered
1998 Dodge Durango 4X4
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She ain't ready to pass on yet, she's still eating and drinking. In fact she's laying on my lap right now, and everytime I go to pet her she starts purring. No bloodwork results back as of yet.....

Thank y'all for keeping my family, I and especially her in your prayers it truly means a lot.

·
Super Moderator
12,822 Posts
I feel for you, and your family. I hope that you get good news. In the meantime the fact that she's eating, drinking, and purring tells me that she's not in any pain. Please keep us updated.

P.S., she's a very nice looking cat. Her markings remind me a little of a racoon.

·
Registered
931 Posts
They become part of the family. We lost two fairly recently. The 19yo Siamese "Angel" lived up to her name. My lap cat, every night.
Such a great cat, but had to be euthanized.
I was brought up men don't cry, but I did at the vet's some, couldn't help it.
Angel.jpg

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Citizen of Earth
15,744 Posts
You have my prayers for both yourself and for your kitty. I've had cats and dogs most of my life. I currently have a shelter cat my dad rescued that I inherited. Dad's vet told him the cat had some since forgotten disease and might live another 3 years. Dad had him for 4 years and I've had him another 4. I have no idea how old Sonny is. I hope your cat bounces back.
sonny with Joe.jpg

·
Administrator
21,555 Posts
So sorry to hear of your cat having health issues. It's tough, we all understand. Wishing you the very best for your friend at this time.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
There may be some things you can do to help the cat get better ,or at least maintain it's weight and not get any worse..
I asked the vet if there was anything I could give or feed my cat to extend her life span,he said it wouldn't hurt to try giving her goats milk,if she liked milk (not all cats do,or can digest it well if they do)...and to give her "pretty much whatever she wants,if she starts looking sickly and wont eat her usual favorite foods--even tuns fish,which is bad in large amounts,but he said "ANY food is better than it starving itself"...my cat happened to LOVE cheese,which the vet said could be very bad for her,depending on what type,if it had mold or fungus,etc..overall cats usually do not process dairy foods well,but this cat would sit and beg for sliced cheese,it would eat a whole slice if you let her!..but I began scaling down how much I gave her..

I bought goat milk at a nearby pet food store,they also had some wet cat food that was prepared specially for cats with kidney disease,and I also tried several different brands than she had been eating--her appetite increased quite a bit and she liked the goats milk,and she improved a great deal in about a month's time,gained 3 lbs back..hshe had went from 9 lbs to 6 rapidly,then to 4 lbs,looked like a living skeleton until I gave her those foods & milk..
The owner of the pet food store also had an 18 year old cat with the same condition as mine had,they suggested using what they were feeding their cat--I also bought chicken thighs or breasts and boiled them,my cat usually liked that the best ..and it helped my cat live another 3 years..

One thing I was warned about was giving an elderly cat "treats"--most of those store bought ones have a lot of chemicals and preservatives ,some claim they actually killed their cats...often they come from china or third world countries and the ingredients aren't always something good for them..they can be addictive too,and cause weird behavior..

·
Registered
1998 Dodge Durango 4X4
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well folks, I got good and bad news....

The good news is we got the bloodwork back today and talked to the vet on the phone. The vet said it shows that all of her numbers look good although she was dehydrated.

The bad news is that they still don't know what the mass near her stomach and/or rib-cage is, but they said it is the size of about a handful. To know exactly what it is they would have to take an ultrasound so then they could POSSIBLY take it out, we still have to discuss it as a family BUT we're not sure if putting her through the surgery is a good idea considering her age and she having a heart murmur.

I will keep y'all updated, but thank y'all very much for keeping us in your prayers......

·
Registered
931 Posts
Well folks, I got good and bad news....

The good news is we got the bloodwork back today and talked to the vet on the phone. The vet said it shows that all of her numbers look good although she was dehydrated.

The bad news is that they still don't know what the mass near her stomach and/or rib-cage is, but they said it is the size of about a handful. To know exactly what it is they would have to take an ultrasound so then they could POSSIBLY take it out, we still have to discuss it as a family BUT we're not sure if putting her through the surgery is a good idea considering her age and she having a heart murmur.

I will keep y'all updated, but thank y'all very much for keeping us in your prayers......
I wonder if putting a little salt in her food would make her drink more water? One cat we had I'd add some warm water to her food. Hopefully the tumor is a lipoma. I had one removed from my shoulder that was softball sized!
Praying for you cat...hope for the best.

·
Registered
1998 Dodge Durango 4X4
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wonder if putting a little salt in her food would make her drink more water? One cat we had I'd add some warm water to her food. Hopefully the tumor is a lipoma.

The food is already wet, but we add a little water and even a few treats in her food though

·
Registered
1998 Dodge Durango 4X4
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well another update for y'all,

We talked it over and we are thinking that we are gonna let everything run its course to see how she does, and most likely not go through with the ultrasound although that maybe will change.

I'll keep y'all updated....

·
Registered
931 Posts
Our neighbors have cats like we do and they give one baby food. Chicken and Turkey seemed best. Helped their cat gain weight.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
My cat had a heart murmer also...vet said it was "the least of her problems" though..
I forgot about baby food,mostly chicken,turkey,and beef,I avoided the ham because of salt and was told its not good for cats..
I fed my cat a lot of it,often it was the only thing she'd eat,and once she ate some,then she'd go nibble on her wet food..she liked the boiled chicken the most though..when I'd put some on to boil,she'd sit next to me and meow and tap my shoulder,as if to say "hurry up,I'm starving"!..I think sometimes she went on a hunger strike until I gave her boiled chicken..

My vet told me to avoid any salty food for my cat and do not put any on her food,since it would only worsen the kidney failure and heart murmur...

I cant believe I forgot about the baby food...I only had about 300 empty jars to get rid of after the cat passed--luckily a guy responded to my craigslist "free baby food jars " ad ,he wanted them for his shop,he planned to nail the lids to shelves and use the jars to store hardware for his upholstery business..

·
Registered
1998 Dodge Durango 4X4
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Hey Y'all,

So I got good news on my cat. She is still eating, drinking, going to the bathroom, and purring. We're even watching Nascar together today

I thought that we should do something a little special for her for Valentine's Day today, considering we never do and who knows how much longer she will be here. That said we got her one can of new wet healthier food. It is the chicken Blue Buffalo Pate', I heard it is made with good healthy stuff.

I brought it in a little bowl with a little water and some cat treats out to her in the living room on a Christmas tray, and she ate every single bit of it, nothing left in the bowl which normally she leaves a little behind. She ate most of it then was done then went back and ate the rest.

She loved it, and in my opinion I think this is her new food.

Happy Valentine's Day Girl, I love you!.....
20210214_171540.jpg
20210214_171612.jpg

1 - 20 of 36 Posts