My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Prayers needed for my mother-in-law.
Seems she had a pretty bad stroke this morning. She was on her weekly phone call with my wife and she was having a hard time thinking what she wanted to say and saying some words. She was by herself at the time.
It seemed to get worse quickly.
She's about 78 and had a mild fall on Tuesday and did hit here face but had been fine. She has a mild TIA about 1.5 years ago.
She was scared and frustrated and it got worse within a few short minutes so we called the local emergency (we live 3.5 hours away) and they were there in less than 12 minutes.
Took her to first hospital and then transferred to another in Youngstown.
I was told they gave here some TPA but I think it was 3-4 hours after the onset of symptoms.
Her children are there now.
Praying for the best outcome...

It's **** to get old. Life is so fragile. People are snuffed out every day, every second. Something a little as a bump can kill us or a shallow puncture when other times people are thrown from fast moving objects and vital areas punctured with multiple spiked objects and somehow they survive.
Any of us who make it to 70-80 are darn lucky, I guess.
Life can be completely altered or over in a moment.
What can you do? Live life the best you can but always be ready to go??
Kinda rough but we do take life for granted all to often.

·
Parts collector
2,778 Posts
Sorry to hear this but yes life is short, we are fragile, so love and live the best you can every day.

Prayers for her speedy recovery.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Prayers sent for your MIL and all of her family. Getting old ain't for sissies. You are right on track about doing the best we can and understanding that we we can be called to our eternal home without any warning. We must be ready to go when HE calls and be prepared to give a good accounting of our lives. Keep us informed.--Edro

·
15,000 +posts!
19,607 Posts
Best wishes for a full speedy recovery...strokes can hit anyone at any age..

One of my late friends daughter had a bad one when she was only in her early 40's..
She's still unable to do many tasks that were possible easily before..she had to spend almost a year in a nursing home before she was able to go home..

Country singer Chely Wright just revealed she had a stroke a year ago--had severe migraine headaches often that lasted 2-3 days at times,but a doctor diagnosed the true reason for them..

I learned one of my cousins died of pancreatic cancer last month..hadn't seen him in decades,but it was still sad news...he lived in NH..

My cat died Saturday morning,had her for 18 years...so I've been grieving her loss,it was not a good weekend,having to bury her...I'm not dealing too well with her loss..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Prayers to you and your family. On the little bit of a bright side, 3-4 hr onset with TPA for an occlusive stroke is an ideal time frame.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking the earlier the better and 3hr was nearing the end of the window of opportunity.

Thank you all for the prayers and good wishes. I will update her condition when I get to a keyboard.

·
5,208 Posts
Thoughts and prayers for your mother in law and best wishes for a full recovery. Bill

:praying::praying::praying:

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, she survived and is doing a lot better. This all started around 7-7:30 am on Sun morning. She went from pretty much normal to not being able to speak but a few words or phrases in less than hour. She got the tPA around 10:30 am.
She new her husband when he got to hospital around 9:30-9:45 but didn't know children or anyone else and couldn't speak by then.
Scheduled another cat scan or MRI right about 24hrs later so that was this morning.
She had some weakness on right side with hand squeezing etc and hard to get her to understand to squeeze or at least to start squeezing on with right.
Today she is coherent and speaking decently and they had her up and moving around.
I have not been there and seen her. I am still in my town with my kids. Her children are there with her.
I haven't had any more update than this but this is good news, considering.
Scary stuff. I have really no experience with strokes or stoke survivors. I was just kinda waiting on my own and planning on winging it.
People in my family usually just drop dead or get cancer and go sadly but quickly. Never had any incapacitated or compromised family.

Thank you all for prayers and wishes for her and let's hope and pray for the best and a return to fairly normal life for her and husband.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, she survived and is doing a lot better. This all started around 7-7:30 am on Sun morning. She went from pretty much normal to not being able to speak but a few words or phrases in less than hour. She got the tPA around 10:30 am.

She new her husband when he got to hospital around 9:30-9:45 but didn't know children or anyone else and couldn't speak by then.

Scheduled another cat scan or MRI right about 24hrs later so that was this morning.

She had some weakness on right side with hand squeezing etc and hard to get her to understand to squeeze or at least to start squeezing on with right.

Today she is coherent and speaking decently and they had her up and moving around.

I have not been there and seen her. I am still in my town with my kids. Her children are there with her.

I haven't had any more update than this but this is good news, considering.

Scary stuff. I have really no experience with strokes or stoke survivors. I was just kinda waiting on my own and planning on winging it.

People in my family usually just drop dead or get cancer and go sadly but quickly. Never had any incapacitated or compromised family.

Thank you all for prayers and wishes for her and let's hope and pray for the best and a return to fairly normal life for her and husband.

Glad to hear things are looking a little better. Continued prayers to you and your family. One day at a time!

·
I'll never get to 10,000
4,828 Posts
Toby,
Just saw this and prayers being sent.
Glad to here of her improvement and will keep her in our thoughts and prayers.

·
Premium Member
7,749 Posts
Thinking of you and your family, Toby.

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts