My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've hinted in a few other threads, my grandfather has been having a rough year, especially the past few months. He has several issues now, and just found out that he isn't a good candidate for surgery that he likely needs to keep living.

He just turned 89, and is a 6-year Air Force veteran.

Mike

·
2,075 Posts
Mike... no offense and best wishes (I don't pray) to your granddad... but what exactly are you hoping for?

He's 89... spend time with him, hear his tales (record if you can) and enjoy the sunset with him.

All the best.

·
Premium Member
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure, and no offense taken. Mentally, he's pretty sharp most of the time, except when not feeling well. Mostly don't want to see him suffer, regardless of how much longer he's with us.

Thanks for thinking of us, guys. We (my sister and dad) lost my mother last summer, and my dad isn't taking this news very well.

Mike

·
2,075 Posts
"Everything comes and goes, marked by lovers, and styles of clothes.
Things that you held high and told yourself were true
lost or changing, as the days come down to you".
--Joni Mitchell

Stay strong and give him the best days of his life, come what may.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
4,948 Posts
Mike,
Prayers for you and your grandfather. Whatever the outcome spend time with him and let him know you're there for whatever he needs.

·
We're all friends here
14,001 Posts
Sorry to hear that Mike. All you and your family can do is help keep him comfortable and as happy as possible while you all go through this sad time.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,100 Posts
Sorry to hear your Grandpa's not feeling well, my best hopes for better days.

·
Parts collector
3,153 Posts
Prayers, as has been said spend time with him. If I could go back 10 years I would have spent more time with my grand parents had I known they would be gone sooner than I thought. Time is precious and you can't get it back. Use the time left the best you can with him.

·
Premium Member
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks again guys. They're moving him today, to a rehab facility. Not sure why he isn't going to hospice. He signed DNR orders, but can get IV and trips back to the hospital. Sounds like this could drag out for a while, and he'll undoubtedly suffer.

Biggest problem is that eating and drinking (anything) could kill him (extreme difficulty swallowing, possibly a Parkinson's issue), but he's defiant and wants to eat.

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...and he's now headed back to the hospital, oxygen levels too low in his blood. He's been suffering from aspirated pneumonia, which apparently is the leading cause of death from Parkinson's disease.

I live roughly an hour from where he is now, and work another 45 minutes further away, so it's very difficult for me to get in there when things change so fast.

Mike

·
15,000 +posts!
19,772 Posts
I lost my dad to Parkinson's and stomach issues he had many years prior,so I can relate to how you feel--he was in the Air Force in WWII too--it was **** watching my dad lie in bed for the last 10 years of his life,unable to do much of anything ,he said the worst thing was his mind was still sharp and he wanted to do the things he used too,but couldn't ..I think that contributed to him passing away just before his 75th birthday,he just lost his will to live..the official cause of death was listed as an obstructed bowel,but I remember him telling me months before he passed "I already feel like I died inside"..

My prayers go out to your grandfather,and you & your family,I know the effects of a elderly relative facing their final days can make you feel ill too--though things may look bleak,its best to try to keep a positive outlook...you never know,he may pull through and make a remarkable recovery..

·
Premium Member
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Robert. I'm the eternal optimist with these things, but this really isn't looking good. I visited with him tonight, he's still in the ER, but stabilized enough to move to a room (which is a waiting game).

Without getting into details, he's extremely sick, and probably should be in hospice care. We may be having that conversation tomorrow.

Mike

·
Citizen of Earth
15,244 Posts
Grandsfathers (and grandmothers too!) are extra special people in our lives. My prayer is that you can spend as much time as possible with him, tell him you love him. I lost my Dad last May at 83 from Alzheimer's. Be grateful that your grandfather knows who you are, and try to share something with him that you both have enjoyed in your lives, be it stamp collecting, coins, hunting, fishing, 25 year old bourbon, whatever. Show him that new stamp, fishing rod, etc that you recently got. My last lucid conversation with my Dad, he was giving me his long guns and I asked about the trap shooting matches he was in, asked about what hunting he did with the rifle, shared stories with him. We created some good memories for me, which made the heaviness of him fading away mentally a little easier to deal with. It is your best last chance to be there for him, so I hope you can make the most of it.

·
Premium Member
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, he didn't suffer for long. We lost him late this afternoon. I was there with my sister and Dad.

Rest in Peace, Grandpa.

Mike

·
3,375 Posts
It is tough to be with someone who is at that stage....but it would have been tougher if you weren't ......... sorry you had to go through it...I pray that God gives you and your family the strength to overcome the grief

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Mike. I just found this thread. Wish I has when this started as I deal with this type of thing on a daily basis working in a hospital. It sounded like he was a great man and father/GF. My condolences.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts