My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a pow'r pup tractor and was wondering if anyone has seen one in action. I am using a model A rear axle and 3 speed for the drivetrain.The engine is a 5hp b&s because that is what I have. If the tractor performs well I will put a higher hp engine on it with hydraulics and front loader.I'm going to try to get some pics to show my progress.They say these things will pull a one row plow or disk but I find it hard to believe.I need it to pull a small camper around the yard and move junk/gold.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some pics of what I have go'in.I narrowed the axle 14 inches and shortened the torque tube and driveshaft. I welded everything back together in a lathe so it would be straight.I'm mocking everything up to get the chassis rolling.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Mountain man,

Saw your post and your questions about my Dad's tractor. With a 10 horse the only thing limiting it is traction. Got 5 flat V-8 flywheels on each rear wheel for weight. It has never stalled out under load in 1st gear, almost limitless power but the thing that gives is traction. Better that than something important breaking. It pulls a one bottom plow along fine in 1st and sometimes second gear. Got a 1928 Chevy trans in it (I think), 3 speed. 1st gear is geared low enough, speed is welll.....how to explain. Walk heel to toe one step a second, that is about medium throttle in 1st. Third gear is fast, get the local 10 year old kid to run as fast as he can, that is third gear. Good for momentum when plowing snow and for traveling from place to place on the road. Happy to answer any more questions.

Pete

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
sound like a neat and fun build i will be following along

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here are a few more pics. This is the front axle pivot pin.I welded 3 axle nuts together and pressed two bronze bushings in them. I drilled a grease fitting also.I then grinded a flat spot at an angle to give my axle some caster when welded together.The pin is an old kingpin I had laying around.I welded a plate on the front of it so it could be bolted to the cross member to keep it from spinning.I then measured it out and tacked it up.1x1 angle will be welded in around the mount to make it stronger and I plan on making some stut rods.Thank for responding Pete, it is a real confidance builder to know some potental is ahead.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A pow'r pup was a tractor designed in the 30's/40's by farmers who didn't have a lot of money to buy a manufactured tractor.They used old car parts and adapted low hp engines to do there work in gardens and farms.They used mostly rear axles and 3 speed transmissions from old fords with 3-10 hp engines. They were kind of a poor mans tractor but they were supposed to work rather well.Doodle bugs were also popular in the day.A lot similar to the pow'r pup.

·
MTF New Poster
2,163 Posts
I been looking for those plans online.I know there is a website that has all those plans in .pdf format.With all the different vehicles around now the possibilities are endless.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
I been looking for those plans online.I know there is a website that has all those plans in .pdf format.With all the different vehicles around now the possibilities are endless.
Ever find that site ?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe your tractor could be called what ever you can come up with.It is a one of a kind.It is a tractor that make me want to start on another project.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I did a little work today. I made my seat spring and got it mounted.With a little help from the press I bent a couple leafs from a leaf spring to give me a comfort ride.I bent and added one at a time until my 200lb buddy could bounce on the seat and feel safe.I also made some strut rods for my front axle.I trimmed off an old jack handle and pressed some shock bushings in them with sleeves and welded them up with a rod end on the other side(well I welded then pressed for you that are correct talkers).I added a little bend so they would clear my tie rods.Then mounted it and tacked it.I'm going to take it all back apart and flip it to get it all welded on the under side, but first I'm going to drink a beer and call it a night.:trink39:

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
looking great! i love seeing all these different scratch-built tractors here, it's quite inspirational! i'd love to make one myself, but i've already got too much on my plate...

tmm

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are some new pics of the steering box. I started with a column and box from a 32' ford. I needed the top half for another project so I thought the steering box would be perfect for my tractor.I cut the column at the bottom and here is what I have.

steering column.jpg steerin column cut.jpg

I thought it would be a good idea to put a seal between the shaft and the housing to keep dirt and water out. I found one that fit perfect in my garage.I then ground a bolt and machined it to fit in the shaft.I came across a steering shaft with universals so I could center my steering wheel and adapted my modified bolt to fit it.I welded it in and this is what I've got.
steering box fab.jpg steering box close up.jpg

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I also made a mount. With the help of a hole saw I made my initial hole and then used a frame angle guage to determine the angle of my box. I used a template to help me get it right.I'm mounting the box above my radius rod mount to help with bump steer (LOL).I drilled , bolted , and clamped it all together and this is what I ended up with. All I have to do is weld it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 85 Posts