My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took it apart awhile ago. It's what I was afraid of. The roller bearings in the main part are siezed. I think there may be one usable gearset. Most are toast.
I see why I had to beat the shifter practically to get it to shift, I just don't know how it did! The shifter shafts are corroded. The input & output shafts are hard to turn by themselves! Their bearings are bad too. Bought it after it had set in a field a couple of years, no telling when the last year was that the trans oil was changed if ever, but aside from a pint of water, nothing came out.
I'll be looking for a trans, maybe the much easier to find 3 speed. If I can figure out what this 4 speed is, I can look for one for parts, maybe just the gears.

Got lucky on my previous PK and found a trans with the mounting ears broken off and good innards.
Have a spare 3 speed case and a few innards and a shifter.

It's always something isn't it?

Attachments

·
Still plays with tractors
2,284 Posts
Wow, ugly. I know a fella that can help you with this. Shoot me an email and I'll give you his contact info. He may even have a 4 speed laying around or the parts to fix yours.:goodl:

·
Collector of many tractors
15,270 Posts
I would have filled it with a light oil and drove it a short time and drained it then I would have opened it up...

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, if I had perfect hindsight vision, I would have done that too. I was thinking the problem was in the pressure plate, clutch assembly because it pulled ok, but wouldn't shift without grinding. Was hoping to leave the pan on and not mess with the transmission when I parked it.
Already had the engine out when I drained the "oil" last winter. Then I realized I needed to take the trans apart and check it out.

·
Still plays with tractors
2,284 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts