My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to do a big list order to my dealer, and I want to ask the more experienced of the forum about the double pulley that needs to be mounted on the deck to power the PowerFlow.

I have a PowerFlow that is meant for a 54" deck. It has a few items for the 48" adaptation, but not all. I need 3:
  • Z shaped pin
  • the protection/stiffening plate for under the deck
  • idler pulley

Now, I have the idler pulley for the 54" deck, it fits to be mounted, but it's 0,55 inch larger in diameter on the big pulley and 0,28 inch bigger on the small pulley.
Would this mandate a new pulley? Or are these tolerances small enough to be absorbed by the tensioning pulley spring?
I'm ok to get a new one, but if I can help spending 70€, I would rather do that :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Noh, there's no issue with the guard. The only issue is the belt length. But I was able to install it on the deck and spring the belt on it, as the tensioning pulley gave in a bit. My only concern is for the belt, if it has any risk of breaking because of this, or if the spring is the one to take the stress and for everything to be fine.

·
G.T.Fever-VA
604 Posts
Both my powerflows were interchangeable between my 54/48 decks. Same belts and everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Noh, there's no issue with the guard. The only issue is the belt length. But I was able to install it on the deck and spring the belt on it, as the tensioning pulley gave in a bit. My only concern is for the belt, if it has any risk of breaking because of this, or if the spring is the one to take the stress and for everything to be fine.
The belt is tensioned by the spring, so I think that will be fine

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you @GT-Fever-VA & @Trentofdestiny. That's good news. I'll get the Z shaped bracket and the stiffening plate then.

Btw, do you guys ever find good use out of the fill level indicator? I will only be using the bagger in the spring and autumn, for leaves and initial cleanup to prepare for overseeding...and I'm not sure I want to pay 80€ for it if it's unreliable. I read that a lot of people just bang the outer bag...but then again, I saw many didn't know how to make it work. So I'm not sure what conclusion to draw.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I just reach behind me and feel the feel of the bags filling up to know when to go dump. One bag will fill up first then the clippings fall into other bag.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, seems to be the preferred way to check. The only thing I would like to avoid is having to unplug the chute and PowerFlow every time I mow. I'd rather pay a bit more than I'm comfortable with than to be frustrated.
But if it's unreliable, then I would rather spend the money on caps and steering knob :D

·
blinged out
1,381 Posts
I've gotten use to emptying the chute, powerflow and dealing with the packed full top.my gauge seems to work pretty good, when I see it move I know it's getting close to full, then I just watch for blowout or look behind to see how it's picking up and continue till it's blowing out or leaving a trail! One thing I've learned when walking to dump bags in the bush is to keep a garbage can at dump area so I can empty what's piled in the top of the pf and chute into the can. first trip is 1 bag and can,next trip is other 2 bags! I keep the leaf blower near the dump area and blow the cuttings farther into the bush where it's difficult to walk with the bags!
I realize not everyone does it this way, after using the pf for a while you will get a sense of how long to work it with the density of what your picking up! when I'm using the cyclone I can tell just by turning the steering wheel and the way the tractor responds ,how much is in there!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sounds like a good process @donmac. It would seem that even if the indicator works, you're still relying on the blowout to know when to empty because you want to maximize the capacity. I can definitely understand that...I used to super pack my wheelbarrow and also add a full bag on top when going to the dump site, prior to having the deer :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the reassurance @GT-Fever-VA. I'm definitely going to skip paying the 80€. Together with the pulley that's a whole 150€ :)

Now the only thing left to decide if I wanna pay 70€ on the top shell piston. I don't mind lifting it by hand, but I kinda mind having to rest it on the other side on the seat. But still, it seems kinda steep for a relatively simple piston.
I found some generic ones that look the same, a bit shorter, but I don't know the force rating that piston is supposed to have. Can any of you check and see if there's anything written on it?

·
blinged out
1,381 Posts
can't get at mine to check ,stored in rafters for winter! I wouldn't worry about force rating the top is very light! if you have an auto wrecker close I'd give them a call if you know the length needed and want to save some money!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Luckily I have many of them around. I’ll check to see. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just giving an update on this, in case it helps anyone. In the end, I bought the idler, Z bracket, and PowerFlow belt.

Tbh, I don't think it would have fit without all of them. Even so it is a tight squeeze, so every bit of length matters.

Here they are mounted:
IMG_0063.png IMG_0077.png

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Trentofdestiny which part? The right (front) side is leaning towards the inside...but I assumed that's how it's supposed to be.

I had an entire drama when I bought it with the shipping company...but I looked as much as I could at it when taking delivery and didn't see any signs of damage...and no chipping of the paint.

Photo Sep 06, 16 30 22.jpg Photo Sep 06, 17 32 00.jpg

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
That's the part I meant. All 4 gauge wheel shafts are supposed to be straight up (vertical). That deck looks like the previous owner ran it into something.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll check tomorrow and see...it might be that the angle of my picture messes up the gauge wheel angle. I never noticed that to be leaned to one side. Just the lip of the deck, which I assumed is by design.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Gotcha. The top should be flat, and the leading edge of the deck should be vertical, as should the gauge wheel shaft. The lip does whatever the lip does lol. Sometimes the lip is higher in the front of the deck than the rear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts