My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I am getting a complete power steering system from a cub 3184. I want to put it on my cub 1250 because I am installing a loader. I do not have a hydraulic lift so what is the best way to power the controller. Can I add a charge pump to my current transmission, use "power beyond" from my loader control valve, or what?

What would do and how?

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
290 Posts
To do it correctly you would need either a ported Hydro pump or put the ports in yours (if it has the bosses). Then it would be set up like the factory would have. This would allow you to run the hydro pump for your loader by the front PTO and still be able to turn it on and off with out effecting the power steering.

Your hydro pump already has a charge pump on it , there is only a place for one.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. This is all very new to me and I am trying to learn as fast as I can. I have the service manual but I am still unclear on what is involved. If it is as simple as changing the tranny and connecting the hoses I feel I can do that. If it gets any more involved I may not have enough time or experience to make it work.

Simply put; can I just remove the current transmission and bolt on a ported transmission and connect a line to the power steering controller? Will I need a new shaft between the engine and the transmission? I'm trying to gather as much information as I can before I start so I can do it once and be done.

Thanks a million,

James

·
Registered
7 Posts
james,

Your 1250 (providing it has manual lift) has a standard non-ported pump. the only cub that came with ports blocked off was the 169. and there are no "bosses" on any of them. the pumps with ports have some different insides to provide higher pressure to the aux equipment then what the trans needs.
you will need a ported pump this can be from virtually any cub cadet from this era from the 129 series up into the 82 series.... one from a cyclops like a 1862 wont work cause it will be splined. ebay is a good place if you dont have a vendor. you will also need a gasket. you can use the same engine to tranny driveshaft, its vitually the exact same thing but it has 2 hydraulic fittings on the front. you will then need to connect these 2 ports to the supply and return on the power steering pump. and also i think you will need to block off the power beyond. after that its drilling some holes and mounting the piston.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Lets get the facts straight here first.

First , there are many pumps out the that do have the Bosses on them for the port connections, that are not factory ported. these pumps are found on the 1210,1710,1810, 582,682, basically any 82 series that is a hydro drive without hydro lift. They are the exact same pumps. The bosses are simply plugged with you guessed it, plugs. These pumps can be converted to full ported pumps by adding the appropriate valve spring kit. I have done this myself and so have many others.

Secondly, All the cyclopes series did not have the splined input shaft. This was a mid series improvement.

Third there is no power steering pump, if there were there would not be a need for a ported hydro pump.

Here is a thread I did on how to disassemble and repair a hydro pump ,if you would like to see what they look like on the inside.

http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4958

JOE

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well i cannot speak of the 1210 and 1810 etc as i have never owned one, i was just going by what i have been told by what i thought was knowledgeable on those pumps.... i thought it would be crazy of them to force the dealer to change the pump if the customer wants to add hydro lift.
But nonetheless the center of this thread is on the 1250 of which i have owned several and none of them were drilled for ports at all.
Also we all sometimes have typos... for instance you droped the 582 into this discussion and the 582 is a stickshift
I mistyped above what i should have called the power steering valve i typed the power steering pump. my bad
As far as the cyclops and the spined pump it appears on the parts breakdown that some of the models 1860 and 1541 could have ad the straightshaft... although there was no serial number break so my guess is they made that change fairly early again my bad:sorry1:

·
Registered
7 Posts
wait i think i found the serial number break for the straight input shaft... shows the 1541 had that style from serial number 800,350 to 800,533 doesnt show that on the 1860 breakdown but i would have to assume cause all models shared serial numbers were looking at less then 200 units overall... if this is correct thats one rare tractor!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.