My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this up a while back and when it came in I found that it would not turn. pulling out the drain plug reviled a clump of rust and flakes like it sat in a flood. it was never used and I don't think it was ever filled with oil. started a rebuild project... what a project! here are some pics, before and ready to go back together again. new worm shaft as the old one had some pitting that I thought might wear the brass worm wheel, all new bearings and races, new seals and gaskets. not shown in the ready to go pics are all the 32 tines or the shell. I still have not decided on a power source. original thoughts were a hydraulic motor but a gas engine mounted on it looks to be most practical.. maybe 10 HP?

Attachments

·
Learning as I go along
273 Posts
Very nice. Where did you get your repair/service parts? I have one that was well used when I got it with the 2414 I bought a couple of weeks ago. Mine has some wear, some rust and bad seal around the shaft. Works good, but I believe with some attention it could work better and last longer.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,442 Posts
The tines show zero wear, so it was definitely worth fixing up. Sure looks like you went thru it from top to bottom.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here's a crazy thought.. mount it up to a Gravely L. any input?

·
Learning as I go along
273 Posts

·
Electrician
937 Posts
That does look like an original PK tiller but what I can't figure out is why it had a separate engine. Mine is all shaft drive from the tractor. I will try and post a pic. Here goes.

Attachments

·
GANG GREEN GIZMOW KILLER!
1,244 Posts
AM2 I was wondering that myself.

I wonder if someone modified the OP's to have an engine as they did not have a tractor with the second tranny..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not have a rear pto setup as yet. the only one I ever saw for sale was close to $500. I was hoping at first to go hydraulic drive by installing a pump on the tractor so I could also build a 3 point post auger switching them with quick disc. fittings and adding a front end loader down the line. I am watching for the rear pto, as that would be the "keep it simple" solution. mounting an engine on it would make it easy to remove but heavy as I think a 10 hp is about as small as would work, my troybuit is a 7hp for a 20'' or so till but is also the propelling drive. I am always open to ideas and suggestions or if you have a pto for sale or trade. I think this was for the newer fiberglass model tractors as it had a spline shaft and a 6" pulley on that shaft ( spline is the same as the trans shaft)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ariensman thanks for the pictures, that is the best set I have seen of the pto looks like I could build that. some other pics. I have seen look like there is a gear box below the engine

·
Electrician
937 Posts
Ariensman thanks for the pictures, that is the best set I have seen of the pto looks like I could build that. some other pics. I have seen look like there is a gear box below the engine
Well, its just a sheave on the drive shaft encased in a tube with the u-joint in the middle. All the gear ratio needed is in the tiller miller unit. Mine is the large 46" one and yours looks like that width also. It is very impressive in action. I hope you can get yours running.:goodl:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts