My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up tractor serial #18557 with 14 hp kohler today. It is a little rougher than the guy made it sound over the phone but the price was right. It needs just about everything. I bought the tractor in pieces, not the way to go if you aren't real familiar with these tractors.

So far here is what I know it needs:

1. Steering box seems kinda screwed, it feels crunchy when you turn the wheel and it binds. The steering tube flops around, maybe a clamp or something is missing?

2. The steering link looks to be bent big time.

3. The clutch disc is M.I.A.

4. Exhaust valve is M.I.A. P.O. had motor apart and lost it.

I think what bums me out the most is the steering box being crap and the clutch disc missing.

Going by the serial # can anyone tell me what yr. and model this thing is? I'll try to get some pics up tomm. Thanks for any help or suggestions. Anyone in the CT. area have any parts?

·
Still plays with tractors
2,290 Posts
1969. Model is Power King.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Take the box apart and see what's in there, I would say bad bearings. They had no clamps or suports but you can make one pretty easy. DO NOT PULL ON THE WHEEL it will make the wable worse and that's most likely what hapened already. The rod is called the drag link, punch that into ebay and there might be one, people part these all the time. You may not need one because they have big corners and bends in them stock. Post a pic of that too and we can hopefuly help with that. It shouldn't be to hard to put back together they are simple and pretty straight forward, you will enjoy it.

·
1971 PowerKing 1614
244 Posts
Ken,

It sounds like mine that I call humpty dumpty. So it can be done. I would start with the engine and clutch. You can get the clutch stuff from Jerry Frank and some of the engine parts from your local Kohler dealer or on line. Like I said in another post, Don H on the yahoo group got all his online and I can ask him where. If you don't have a diagram of that steering box, I should be able to find it on my PK cd. Is it a Ross? I don't recall where Larry said to get parts for mine, maybe mission, I'll have to check my emails.

Where did you say you were in CT? I forget.
Steve

:wwp::wwp:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in Danbury CT. I'd appreciate it big time if you have the steering box diagrams. It is a Ross box. Does Jerry Frank have the steering box bearings or can I get them somewhere local? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I rebuild one of my boxes and I messed up the bearings because they have plastic cages. I could not find them so I posted here and they told me that they could not find them either but jerry had some for crazy money. I took the steering box from a cub cadet parts tractor I have and stole the brearings from that. The cubs have ross boxes so the bearings are the same. If you have a parts cub gake them from that, if not look for a cub box on ebay.

·
Registered
115 Posts
There a man on eBay whose right down the road from me in luray VA who specializes in small Tractorsteering. Do a Google search for garden Tractor and your zip as 22740 and do local first should bring him up. Contact him, he's a nice guy and I bet he can help but be prepared to pay a little though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey Ken,
The Power Kings got you hooked! They are great tractors! I have the manuals with the steering assembly all broken down if you need them.
Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts