My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started cleaning up the Power King and besides getting the engine started after sitting for about 5 years my first task is to figure out what happened to the rear right side drive. My dad parked this tractor because he thought he broke something in the rear end. Tractor always ran good he just got tired of messing with parts when something broke. So I took the dual rear wheels off and this is what I have. It appears that the bearing that is on the rear drive is gone or mostly gone. Look at the pictures. You can see at the top where it looks like a bearing should be and that it is wore away. Whats the easiest way to get this out? Anyone know of a part number also? Its a 1969 power king with 12hp kohler.

Attachments

·
Still plays with tractors
2,284 Posts
Your best bet is to take that final drive cover off and see what you have. Looks like the seal is gone as well. Is that final drive cover cracked? Looks like it in the pictures.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took the cover off. Cover is not cracked. Just some spiderwebs that made it look that way. This is what I have. I'm flying blind but the axle appears fine. The drive gear isn't in the best of shape. tooths are rounded off and was there supposed to be another bearing behind the drive gear? I found all of the needle bearing rollers in the bottom of the drive gear housing. Looks like there hasn't been gear oil in there for quote some time!

Attachments

·
2,284 Posts
Your going to need a new gear...
I agree. That has been running dry for some time now. A wake up call for all of us. New gear, new needle bearing and new seal. You can email me at [email protected] and I'll send you some names of people who can help you with parts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've begun to tackle the final drive assembly on my Jim Dandy. My question is how does the drive housing come off. I've taken the to large bolts that go through the frame out. It seems to be pressed on to something. I can grap the rear axle and it moves in and out. I'm positive I can pull that axle out as i grabbed it and it came about 2 inches out and I quickly pushed it back in place not knowing what harm could come about. So is it safe to pull axle out? Also back the the main question of how the housing comes off? I've contacted a Jerry Frank from Us supply and he's going to look and see what he has for me. I'm trying to get prepared to see if I can even get this housing off.

Attachments

·
2,284 Posts
Looks like you still have the sheet metal tunnel on the tractor. All that should come off to get that rear end off clean. If I remember correctly from when I did my Jim Dandy, it was just the two bolts on each side that held the whole assembly on. Looks like your axles came off with the final drive covers so they're already out of the way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was hoping not to have to remove the tunnel as there are two bolts under the seat that are rusted really bad and the heads are rounded off.I'll have to grind the heads off and try to get as easy out to take the bolts off. I took the two bolts out but the housing seems to be pressed onto the rear end or something. Also what I was refering to as an axle was the spindle coming out of the rear end that drives the bull gear. Can I pull that out? I'm not trying to take the whole rear end out yet just the final drive housing.

·
2,284 Posts
Oh, you were talking about the pinion shaft that the brake drum mounts on. DUH! You think I would have seen that.:banghead3 Anyway, I'm sending you and exploded view of the final drive assembly to your email. See if it helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the rear end completely out of it. It was a little harder then I thought. Kind of akward to handle was the biggest problem. Didn't expect to have to tear down this tractor as far as I have. At least now I can sandblast it and give it a decent paint job. Is the drive axle supposed to be tappered on the small end? Just trying to decide if I need to buy an axle. The hub came off rather easily an I've been told that isn't supposed to happen. Also take a look at drive cover and housing pic and does anyone think they are salvageable?

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also went and looked at my parts tractor that was my grandpas. The serial number is 15794 and is a Power King not the Jim Dandy like mine. Any parts that would be useable from that final drive that may work for me or is it best to go part hunting? I'm guessing you can put a Power King rear end on a Jim Dandy at all? May be a stupid question but didn't know if anyone has tried.

·
2,284 Posts
Parts hunting is on order. Not saying it can't be done but I've never tried it. I think the tube and drive shaft is a different length. The Power King has larger bull gears. It may not even bolt up. The covers don't look all that bad but it's hard to tell from the pictures. There are seals that go in there around the axles and they are only a couple of dollars. As far as the tapered axle, I don't think they should be. Wouldn't make sense. Most guys converting from a 16" tractor to a 24" tractor with change out the bull gears, covers and axles because the hubs are generally hard to get off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea I think I"m going to look for a new axle and bull gear along with seals and bearings. I'm hopeful that I can get the old bearings out of the cover and housing but they have kinda become one if you know what I mean. In the instruction you sent me on the final drive it states to press off the gear housing from the bearing housing. Is that a pain to do or does it press of fairly easily? Jerry Frank has some parts that I can use but no housing. I called Mission Manufacturing about the housing and they are going to call me back. I'm sure if they have it new it will be too expensive for my blood.

·
2,284 Posts
Try Eric Willis (onemoretractor on ebay) for the covers. He MAY have what you need. [email protected] He's a really good guy to deal with.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I contacted him yesterday but he has the older Jim Dandy housing and parts. He said he may have them in a month or so. He gave me a great price on the parts I needed but were just from the older style. Stan Wentworth is checking into it for me as well and thinks he has what I need. All these guys are very helpful. I'm glad I ran across this site and you as well.:thThumbsU

·
2,284 Posts
I'm glad it's working out for you as well as it is. It's hard to find people you want to deal with. When you do, you want to send them as much business as they can handle. Good luck with the project.:thThumbsU

1 - 17 of 17 Posts