My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

This weekend I bought a dozer blade for my 1968 1612. The blade was off a 1972 1612. This might be a stupid question, could anybody post a couple of close up pictures of how it hooks onto the tractor, because it looks like Im missing something to connect the rear of the plow frame to the tractor frame?
The rear of this frame has a thick round piece of steel that looks like it goes into a slot on the tractor frame or something ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
it sounds like you have a newer plow after 73, not a 72. a 72 has a piece of c-channel going back and at the end there is a piece of flat stock that makes it as wide as the frame. that piece has 2 brackets coming off that go to the frame. if yours is different then its a newer one. the 72 it came off of may have adapters to make it work. pics would be great.

you can see here the ''newer'' mounting style of blocks. the part under the frame is what the bar would slide into

EDIT: by the pile of wood you can see a red thing, thats my plow for it, if it looks like that its after 73. ill get some better pics of it for you.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
this is the style after 73

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bmxkid313,

Yep, my plow looks just like yours and my tractor doesnt have those bracket/blocks on the frame so its a 73 plow. I imagine those blocks cant be too hard to duplicate, could you give me the measurements and Ill try to fabricate some from scrap steel at work. As far as the front of the plow it should hook up with no modifications right?

·
Electrician
937 Posts
Well, I have a 69 and the plow is an 80. I had to install those blocks for the rear and you also need some blocks for the front. The blocks are available from http://powerkingtractorbarn.com/ or you can fab them up. The rear ones will bolt right up and the front will require drilling a 3/8in hole through the small piece of channel under the axle on each side to bolt up. If you look closely at this pic you can see how it installs.

Attachments

·
Still plays with tractors
2,395 Posts
I made a drawing for the larger blocks in the rear. I would probably do the same for the fronts. It's on my work computer so tomorrow I'll see if I can find it and send it to you. Then we'll have to get you measurements as to where they go.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
the back ones go in one of the corners, the front goes in another corner, i think. it cant be vary hard to get demensions. if you cant find the files ill mesure mine

·
Electrician
937 Posts
Here are some closer pics I just took. I had the dimensions of those blocks somewhere and I will look for it and post it for you. You will love that plow on the tractor as it can sure push up some big banks especially when its too wet for a snowblower. I added about 500lbs of weight and chains and it has plenty of traction. You wouldn't want any more weight than that though if you have a paved driveway. I learned that the hard way. These machines can really damage your driveway if your not careful. Where are you in Maine, I'm in Winterport.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ariensman2,

Thanks for the pics, I live in Limerick (southern Maine) If you have the dmensions, Id appreciate those when you find them. I would like to try and fab them. Wost case Ill buy them, good to know Power King tractor barn has them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up getting in touch with Jerry Franks and he does not carry the blocks anymore. The guy that made them for Franks is not making them anymore either. So I talked to a friend of mine at a metal shop and he said he could fab them up for a reasonable price if he has a sketch and demensions.

·
2,395 Posts
I'll try this again. I have a sketch of the rear block made from measurements that I took. I can do the same for the front. It's kind of what I do. I didn't pursue it today because you seemed to acknowledge ariensman2 and his dimension so I thought, "why overload?" Say the word and I'll get the other sketch made and get them to you tomorrow. While they are being made I will take some measurements as to where they get mounted. If ariensman2 is getting them for you, I'll go do something else. He may be the better one to give you location dimensions as he has the same era of tractor and that may make a difference. There's no shortage of projects around here, that's for sure. Either or, just let me know.

·
Registered
638 Posts
If you have a Jim Dandy,your frame is different and the mounts are different.What for sure model is your tractor since the 1612 did not come out until 1978?

Do you know what model the blade came off of for sure?

If you are trying to put a newer style blade on a Jim Dandy,you will need an entirely different hitch adapter than the one shown in this thread.

·
2,395 Posts
Well they did have 12hp tractors with 16" wheels back in 68 that were Power King models. Some even had 24" wheels. Weren't Jim Dandy's still 10hp kohlers at most back then? I'll have to look at my books later to make sure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
username, pretty sure my tractor is a 1968 Power King, definately not a Jim Dandy. I thought its a 1612 because it has a 12hp motor and 16in wheels. I know the plow came off a later Power King, looks just like bmxkid313s and has a Power King label and serial number on it.
Jeff, Thanks, Im gonna wait for ariensman to get back to me and if he cant find his sketches than Ill definately use yours, ill let ya know.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If I had to make some I would trace the blocks from my 75 onto cardboard and cut them out for templates. Then give the templats to I guy I know with a plasma cutter, or to a place nearby that will water jet it and have him cut them for me and I would weld them up myself. I know you can't trace them but you could still make templates and give them to somebody to do. If you wanted to I could make templates and mail them to you.

·
Registered
638 Posts
The frame on a JD in 1968 was a single channel as apposed to the ladder style frame on the Power King Models.In 73,the JD frame was ladder style but smaller and different than the Power king Models.I think 1978 was the first year of the number designation such as 1614,2418 and so on,before then it was either a Power King with different options or a Jim Dandy.

The JD and 1612 frame were always different than the Power King frames and front mount attachments for a power King could not be used on the JD but they could be used on the 1612.It took hitch adapters designed for a JD to use the newer style attachments.

I have some bulletins and some drawings and measurements for the adapters I can post tomorrow.

·
Registered
638 Posts
username, pretty sure my tractor is a 1968 Power King, definately not a Jim Dandy. I thought its a 1612 because it has a 12hp motor and 16in wheels. I know the plow came off a later Power King, looks just like bmxkid313s and has a Power King label and serial number on it.
Jeff, Thanks, Im gonna wait for ariensman to get back to me and if he cant find his sketches than Ill definately use yours, ill let ya know.
Eight inch front wheels as apposed to twelve inch front wheels is the easiest way to identify a JD providing the wheels were not changed.

·
Electrician
937 Posts
RedCap, send me your email address in a PM and I will send you the factory diagram. I couldn't load it here for some reason. It is a simple 1 page PDF 162KB but the site can only do 97KB.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.