My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For around the house use, maybe drilling holes sometimes to mount things, sometimes thru metal objects. I am wondering what would be a good all around electrical drill for that? I have had a cordless one for almost 10 yrs and battery is going out and won't hold a charge long.

Are one's that come with a chuck key or require a chuck key the staple of drills as far as the size to start with? I noticed walmart had a 5.2 amp for $29 and didnt require a chuck key. They also had a 7 amp I believe it was that required a chuck key and it was about $45.

As far as a power saw, I only want to be able to limb up trees and cut them up some so I won't have to drag the limps to my pile. They won't be very large limbs, maybe 8-10 inches around at biggest but I don't want to have to use a handsaw like I have been using for the most part lol.

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,591 Posts
For around the house use, maybe drilling holes sometimes to mount things, sometimes thru metal objects. I am wondering what would be a good all around electrical drill for that? I have had a cordless one for almost 10 yrs and battery is going out and won't hold a charge long.

Are one's that come with a chuck key or require a chuck key the staple of drills as far as the size to start with? I noticed walmart had a 5.2 amp for $29 and didnt require a chuck key. They also had a 7 amp I believe it was that required a chuck key and it was about $45.

As far as a power saw, I only want to be able to limb up trees and cut them up some so I won't have to drag the limps to my pile. They won't be very large limbs, maybe 8-10 inches around at biggest but I don't want to have to use a handsaw like I have been using for the most part lol.
Many drills these days have the keyless chuck. Actually, you can often buy either style chuck in the same model drill; the keyed one is often a little cheaper. For what you want it for, I would think a keyless would be great.

If that $29. drill was the B&D with varialble speed it would probably do the job just fine.
Amazon has the Black & Decker DR250B 5.2 amp 3/8-inch VSR Drill/Driver with Storage Bag, for $32.17, free shipping.

For cutting limbs, what about an electric chainsaw? Amazon also has a Remington RM1415A 14-Inch 8 amp Electric Chain Saw, for $59.99, free shipping. Reviews are pretty good.

It is easy to spend $ on tools!! And we NEED them!! :D

·
Registered
353 Posts
Now that I don't have to drag it around the hangar all day I kind of have given up on the cordless drill thing. Batteries are always low when you need it most etc.

I have a corded B&D 3/8" VSR that has become my "drill a hole or two and done" drill. This one has a keyed chuck and the key slips into a storage hole in the handle of the drill. I have a couple of others with keyless chucks of vastly different quality (Metabo uses a ROHR brand chuck, talk about quality) and I guess it is a matter of preference.

As for the chainsaw? I have the prerequisite Stihls in the arsenal but also received a Remington pruning pole saw as a gift. Basically a small electric 12" chain saw that mounts to an extension pole for pruning and trimming. I have seen them on sale for around $80 and for that are well worth the money. You can trim the higher branches then remove the saw from the pole and work them up (I don't because the pole allows me to stand up and cut the branches without stooping). If you keep the chain sharp it cuts pretty well for what it is.

Just my 2/100 of a dollar worth. Remember, "Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it"

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now that I don't have to drag it around the hangar all day I kind of have given up on the cordless drill thing. Batteries are always low when you need it most etc.

I have a corded B&D 3/8" VSR that has become my "drill a hole or two and done" drill. This one has a keyed chuck and the key slips into a storage hole in the handle of the drill. I have a couple of others with keyless chucks of vastly different quality (Metabo uses a ROHR brand chuck, talk about quality) and I guess it is a matter of preference.

As for the chainsaw? I have the prerequisite Stihls in the arsenal but also received a Remington pruning pole saw as a gift. Basically a small electric 12" chain saw that mounts to an extension pole for pruning and trimming. I have seen them on sale for around $80 and for that are well worth the money. You can trim the higher branches then remove the saw from the pole and work them up (I don't because the pole allows me to stand up and cut the branches without stooping). If you keep the chain sharp it cuts pretty well for what it is.

Just my 2/100 of a dollar worth. Remember, "Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it"
as for the previous poster, i believe mine is a VSR have to go look and see but it was 29 bucks from walmart and is a 5.2 A and came with a storage bag.

I went and looked at a few videos of electric pole saws in use and I believe that is indeed what I need. I will check a few from walmart and lowes and stuff before deciding to buy online.

·
-
1,833 Posts
The Li-On battery drills hold more charge and are lighter, big improvement.

I have an older Ryobi cordless drill that came with Nihm batteries and now I've that I've upgraded to Li-On it it goes longer and has more torque.

If you get one where the batteries are removable you can then just keep a couple - one on the charger juiced up and one in use. When they finally get too tired you just recycle them and keep on using the tool with a new one.

I have several Ryobi tools so I just insert the batteries (same batteries work in all their tools) where I need them:
http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/18v_oneplus#/overview

·
Citizen of Earth
15,743 Posts
I'm gonna suggest something different for a saw. I recently got a reciprocating saw (aka sawsall or sawzall). I think they are a little safer than an electric chainsaw, and offer the option of changing blades to cut metal, plastic, and make finer cuts in wood. Sears had this one at half price when I bought, so it was $30 and an assorted blade pac was another $20, It just offers more options.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm gonna suggest something different for a saw. I recently got a reciprocating saw (aka sawsall or sawzall). I think they are a little safer than an electric chainsaw, and offer the option of changing blades to cut metal, plastic, and make finer cuts in wood. Sears had this one at half price when I bought, so it was $30 and an assorted blade pac was another $20, It just offers more options.
after watching some youtube videos of the electric ones with the poles, and ability to add a pole for higher limbs, I think that wil be best for me. Now I just have to find where they sell at

1 - 7 of 7 Posts