My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Not a lawn tractor deck.... when I was in high school we powder coated a small brush hog for one of the guys dad.... Didn't work out too hot, grass would stick to it like nobody's business..... not sure if that was the powder coating or the fact that we weren't very good at it.......

·
Super Duper Member
1,472 Posts
I was just reading another post about mower deck paint. Has anyone tried powder coating a deck?
Most mower decks are powder coated from the factory. I had a few decks done at a local shop. Could not be happier with the results.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Most mower decks are powder coated from the factory. I had a few decks done at a local shop. Could not be happier with the results.
So I guess it was my poor powder coating skills :fing20:

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
So, are you saying that my X360 mower deck(48 inch) underneath, is powder coated?
Deere says they use a powdered paint process, not sure if they say what size decks get that treatment. Powder still won't hold up underneath, it will hold up better up top, than paint would.

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Ok ya got me by the shirt hairs. What is slip plate.:confused::confused:

·
Banned
297 Posts
They oughta make those 6-7[+] thousand dollar deere lawnmower decks out of stainless,than people like me could see why they cost so much...

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Brett, thanks for the clarification on the paint thing.
I don't have any sand in my yard/grass, and my paint is holding up like new.
The grass has made it very dirty/stained, but no paint is missing from the underside of my deck.

than people like me could see why they cost so much...
And we are very glad that you don't buy one.

·
Super Duper Member
1,472 Posts
So, are you saying that my X360 mower deck(48 inch) underneath, is powder coated?
Underneath as well as ontop. The whole deck, wheels, and frame are powder coated. Thanks to the EPA, most production processess have switched over to powder paint. Most factory car wheels are powder coated. Even the clear coat on car wheels uses a powder paint application.

·
Super Duper Member
1,472 Posts
Brett, thanks for the clarification on the paint thing.
I don't have any sand in my yard/grass, and my paint is holding up like new.
The grass has made it very dirty/stained, but no paint is missing from the underside of my deck.

And we are very glad that you don't buy one.
The dirt and debris picked up by your blades will eventually remove the powdercoat from the bottom of your deck. The deck will last a life time as long as you keep it maintained and stop rust before it can get out of hand.

·
Super Duper Member
1,472 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
From what I understand from reading various sources on the internet and talking to a few different paint shops, "powder coat" isn't much different than liquid spray on paint once it dries. There's cheap powder based paint and there's expensive powder based paint, just like there's cheap and expensive liquid spray on paints. You basically get what you pay for. A good expensive spray on liquid paint will look better and wear better than the cheaper end of the spectrum of powder based paints, and vice-versa.

There's also paint shops that don't do a very goods job and other paint shops that do great work, on those it's more a matter of dealing with them over time to figure out which is which, because some of the ones that don't care about the quality of their work are the ones out to make the most money and will charge you an arm and a leg for crappy work.

Caveat emptor.

·
Super Duper Member
1,472 Posts
From what I understand from reading various sources on the internet and talking to a few different paint shops, "powder coat" isn't much different than liquid spray on paint
No way Jose. Powder paint is far superior to liquid paint for any commercial application hands down. The value is in the prep work. A sub strait that is properly sandblasted is the best foundation for powder paint. The trick to powder coating is not putting it on to thick and allowing for the right amount of cure time in the oven.

18 years in the sanblasting business has made me an expert in this area. Prep it right and you will love powdercoat.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Unlike paint, powder-coat is a plasticized substrate. When sprayed on it's in fine granular form and it flows out under heat. When cured it's basically like the part was dipped in plastic.

Like Saleen said, Powder Coat is superior.

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Slip shield is a paint used primarily in the ag buisness.
It is a very hard finish that basically nothing sticks to.
All of our grain wagons have this on the inside, it takes the abuse of the grain being loaded into them and helps it to flow out easily. As well as preventing rust.

·
Super Moderator
35,807 Posts
I can vouch that Rustoleum Yellow doesn't stick to the bottom of a deck for more than one mowing! I'll never use that again!

·
Registered
244 Posts
The painter is the key. He needs to prep properly and paint properly and finish properly.
The paint job on my '60 Ranchero is valued at $5500 not perfect but I can drive it anywhere. A guy I used to work with had his car at a show. His car looked like it was painted with a brush. He said he paid $7500 for it. O.O

1 - 20 of 32 Posts