My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if any new mowers are painted/coated with powder coating process instead of paint. What have your experiences been with it?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
John Deere has done it since the early 1990s. At first they didn't put the powder on the metal soon enough. The let the bare metal parts sit around for a few days. If you see a mid-1990s Deere you will often see the paint coming off in sheets. Deere has since figured out how to do it correctly. I went through the Horicon plant 2 years ago and now the part is blasted, cleaned, almost immediately has the powder applied and then baked in a one operation. The powder line is something like 2 miles long from start to finish. One of the primary reasons for using powder is there are minimal pollution problems with it. Roger

·
15,000 +posts!
20,545 Posts
I hate powder coating!..here in new england it peels off like saran wrap in sheets,after rust bubbles form under it..everything I have that was powder coated,my Yard-Man tractor,plow frames,custom bumpers with headlamp gaurds and a brush bar,my mower decks, and many other items are now BARE and rusted thanks to the powder coating peeling off...and its **** to remove when you want to paint the item,where it has adhered well..
I'll take PAINT any day!..

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Deere has since figured out how to do it correctly.
I'll take some friendly exception to that statement. GX335... I mow wet grass sometimes and often wash out my 48C '04 mower deck with garden hose tap water (GASP!:D) NO RUST on or under the deck since new. However, right inboard of the right rubber "floor mat" I see a patch of rust about 1½" long and 3/4" showing to where it runs under the mat. There's no scuffs from my shoes in that area, it's never been nicked or hit there and when I wash the entire tractor, like the deck, I blow it off with the big Stihl leaf blower... and it's just "breaking out" in rust... Just lucky again, I guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts