My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a practically new Poulan Pro chainsaw, model PP3816 with case at a yard sale for 15.00. The lady said her husband had used the wrong gas in it and now it wouldn't start. I figured the bar and chain and case were worth more than that so it came home with me. To my delight I discovered that the saw had not been straight gassed but rather it had waaayyy too much oil in the fuel, so much that I couldn't even smell the gas. I drained it and refilled with the proper 40:1.

The saw now starts and runs and cuts, however it bogs when accelerating and won't stay idling for very long. The air filter is perfectly clean, as is every other part of the saw. I noticed that the plastic limiter caps that are supposed to be on the mixture screws are missing. I didn't see the caps by themselves in a parts diagram, does anyone know where I can get the caps?

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
It's actually a good thing those caps are missing, now you can adjust the fuel/air mixture yourself for maximum power. The EPA put those on there to "meet the standards" take a look at this video for tuning the saw so it runs right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhXGWF-B_hs&feature=channel_page

if you ever have questions about small engines, Dave probably has a video about it.

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks friend. Yeah, I'm gonna use Dave's way to tune it up. Now, there is a plastic shroud that surrounds the screws and keeps me from getting my needle nose pliers in there. Should I just cut it off?

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
That shroud is placed there so you can't adjust it yourself, so if you want to adjust them, your going to have to snap that plastic off. It doesn't keep the screws from wobbling out of specs too much without it, considering those screws have springs on them to act like little lock washers. But, if that shroud is connected to a bigger piece like the actual saw's shroud, you may want to take it off, adjust the metering screws, then put it back on.

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I carefully cut away the plastic shrouding that covered the carb screws. Using Super Dave's instructions I adjusted the carburetor and now it starts, idles, accelerates, and cuts awesome. After 20 minutes of work this is a great saw!!

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Good to hear, that dave knows his engines, just about all of them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts