My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
JD318
990 Posts
Don't know much about them, but doesn't look too bad.
Looks like he might be picking up blown-engine tractors and putting different engines in and reselling, since there are a few in the background.
With the sleeve hitch on there, I'd be more concerned about the tranny.
What does he mean by "serviced"? Just changing the engine oil?
Needs a lot of questions answered...new or used replacement engine?, tranny been serviced? how often? how many hours on tractor, if known? etc...

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Those are made by AYP/HOP which makes non-pro craftsmans, husqavarnas, dixons, poulans, and poulan pros.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Here are some pictures of other brands made by HOP/AYP
Craftsman.jpg

dixon.jpg

poulan pro.jpg

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I'm thinking that this Poulan wouldn't be a good choice for pulling a box blade? And that the tranny wouldn't be able to take that type of "abuse"?

The only reason that I'm looking for another one is that my Ford YT blew the motor and I have a lot of yard work to do...still. I have a Craftsman YS4500 that I use to mow with and nothing else and I wouldn't even consider using it to drag a box blade. It's more for pretty & comfort than work. Besides, it's my other half's tractor.

Bob

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Now that you mention it, it does look like the GT5000. I guess that would be a plus. But, as it stands, Im just unsure of whether it could drag a box blade, mid-mount or even a front plow.

Then, I saw this one, a Huskee....with a sleeve hitch:
http://houston.craigslist.org/grd/1790873499.html

Thing is, I only have around $700 to work with, but, I don't want to buy junk either and I really don't care if it's pretty.

Bob

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Now that you mention it, it does look like the GT5000. I guess that would be a plug. But, as it stands, Im just unsure of whether it could drag a box blade, mid-mount or even a front plow.

Then, I saw this one, a Huskee....with a sleeve hitch:
http://houston.craigslist.org/grd/1790873499.html

Thing is, I only around $700 to work with, but, I don't want to buy junk either and I really don't care if it's pretty.

Bob
Thats a murray, The poulan pro will pull a box blade, It is a pretty decent GT for a Box store unit.

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
I am gonna tell you this now. Buy a gt6000 or something older, there is no need to spend that much.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
So, I'm thinking that this Poulan wouldn't be a good choice for pulling a box blade? And that the tranny wouldn't be able to take that type of "abuse"?
Looking at the pics on the CL ad, I would say it is a GT, not a LT/YT by the fact the wheels are bolted to flanges.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TheTractorMan, I'm not looking to spend that much if I don't have to. The only thing that bothers me about that Poulan Pro is that the ad has been up for several weeks. I'm gonna try to get the guy to come down considerably. Either he will or he won't.

Bob

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
TheTractorMan, I'm not looking to spend that much if I don't have to. The only thing that bothers me about that Poulan Pro is that the ad has been up for several weeks. I'm gonna try to get the guy to come down considerably. Either he will or he won't.

Bob
A gt6000 is older.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The first tractor you listed (Poulan Pro) would pull the box blade quite well.
You're probably right, Dogg. I'm just waiting for the guy to get back to me with a more down to earth price, minus the deck, sleeve hitch and it needs a new blade clutch.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, Dogg, whether it will or not, it's academic. Apparently, the guy either doesn't want to sell it or already sold it. But, you'd think that the interest that I showed in it, he should have replied back that it was sold.

Anyhow, I ended up buying a mid 80's Murray GT, 18hp, with AG tires. I think it's a pretty good find. I'll post pics in a day or so.

Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts