My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends dad gave me a poulan pro saw with 18 inch chain. This thing has probably seen less than 10 minutes of use total. Its locked up.

I took it apart and there are grooves on the piston and cylinder walls. There's some 2 stroke oil residue on the crank shaft and bottom of the cylinder area, so it was getting oil and the plug is a nice chocolate brown color. Aside from a possible air leak at the base, I have no idea how this thing seized up. There are no gaskets, just rtv to seal everything together.

Anyway, long story short, parts without shipping will run me around $47.00. The saw is basically brand new but I'm wondering if this is a design flaw or just bad luck. I already have a craftsman saw (poulan manufactured), and it works OK, but wondering if its worth the time to dump $60.00 into this saw and turn around and sell it, or just give it to someone as is...

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
I would just pass it along and let someone else worry with it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I used Poulan twice just recently...the first I know the owner, does'nt take care of stuff...coulnt get it started but for a few seconds at a time. borrowed a different one from some without alot of sense..but takes care of stuff...it worked like a champ.....

·
Registered
167 Posts
hmm, I've got that saw. Been using it for about a year and a half and have had no problems at all. Thing has always started on the 1st or 2nd pull. Mines been good so I'd put the $60 into it. But I could be wrong.

Hope mine lasts a few more years:goodl:

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,285 Posts
I doubt if it is a design flaw. When I worked at Sears a few Craftsman(Poulan) saws came back seized up but there were very few. Most of the others that were returned were due to operator error...they just didn't know how to start them. I have owned a 16" Poulan Pro for about 5 years and so far haven't had one problem. Sounds like you just caught a bad one. :sorry1: I would pass it on.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I had a poulan with 16" bar for over 15 years with good service out of it. On my second one now, have used it three times and it starts well, but has developed a leak somewhere as bar chain oil is all over the bottom of it :Disgus: You just never know I guess.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Well, sounds like one of 2 things happened.

It was fuel up and started, then put right to work at WOT..the piston expanded faster than the cylinder could and the tight clearances bound it all up.

other thing...Straight gassed.

I dont care how much oil is in it now...if the piston is all scraped up, deep grooves all up the exhaust side, at the transfers, etc...straight gassed.

Poulans in general have alot of problems, but the engine isnt usually it. Control issues, clutch issues, fuel issues...but the motors are pretty sound for a bottom of the heap priced saw.

I got a brand new Early Wild Thing from an older man, he could never start it, too weak..so I gave him 35 bucks for it, the case, spare new chain in the bag, mix oil, etc..

I took it home and pulled the motor apart and raised the exhaust port and widened it a hair. Opened up the muffler and re-tuned the carb...and that sucker will cut with the best of em. IV ogt like 40 saws and it vibrates the worst out of all of em...but it will start and run every time.

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
I have an 18" bar Poulan Pro and it works fine. A little hard to start, maybe 6-10 pulls but then it runs great. I have cut up about 30 white pine trees this spring since the winter ice storm and it did it all. I try to only use it for about an hour at a time, that's about the time I lose my concentration, and I figure the saw could use a rest about then too. I blow it clean with my compressor every few hours of use, keeps the lubrication flowing.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I have a Craftsman 16" and a Poulan 18" (essentially the same saw, with a different bar). One is 13 years old, the other is 6 years old. Both start on the third pull.

I think red nailed it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have had Poulin pro for 10 years with the 18" bar and the only problem I with is had to replace the bar because a tree twisted on me and bent it. No fault of the saw just me. It's always started good and and runs good. Kept it clean, proper fuel mix and always let run for a couple of minutes to warm up before putting it to work. I have to agree that that kind of damage almost sounds like it was straight gassed. As far as fixing it really depends on whether you want to put the time and money into it.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,847 Posts
I noticed in a Sears sales flyer in todays paper,that they are now selling "pre mixed two cycle fuel" under the Craftsman label ,in a can like brake fluid comes in..couldn't read what ratio it was though..I was suprised to see that for sale!..

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, knowing this guy, he probably didnt let it break in and gunned it from the start..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Depending on how bad it is you might be able to stone the grooves out of the cylinder wall and the big ones off the piston and buy a new set of rings which should run under ten bucks.

It might work it might not but if it doesn't then your only out the ten bucks and some time.

I did this with an echo that the rings where stuck to the piston and it had low compression and we got it running again!

Jser

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
I noticed in a Sears sales flyer in todays paper,that they are now selling "pre mixed two cycle fuel" under the Craftsman label ,in a can like brake fluid comes in..couldn't read what ratio it was though..I was suprised to see that for sale!..
2.49 a QUART here! sorry, i can mix up and toss out a gallon of gas for my saws cheaper than that! this stuff is for the same people that are too lazy to change the oil/filters in their tractor and then blow the engine due to it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ok ITS OPERTOR ERROR. I agree with post #5
I scrap at least 10 saws,weedeaters, leaf blowers each year because of Operator Error. The error is either that they tried to run it on straight gas or the IMPROPER MIX.
These little buggers rely on oil for lubrication. When there is no lubrication present the ring scratches the cylinder walls and loses compression or overheats and seizes. At this point its scrap. You can buy a new one cheaper than the repair. All manufactures have cheapen the engine by using 1 piston ring .The exception being Sthil or Echo.
With Craftsman(Poulan) U get just what You pay for.The weedeaters and blowers an saws of today only have a 25 to 5o hr run(longevity)time.
Sad but true.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts