My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, I am new to the forum and hope this is the right place to post and ask for assistance. My daughter and I are new owners of an old 1998 Poulan
Lawn Tractor PR18542STC. When we got it, it wouldn't run and needed some major clean up. We managed to get it running and mowing but we still have a few problems I'm hoping we can get some help solving.

1. When trying to start, the starter clicks but doesn't engage the flywheel and turn over the engine. It takes numerous tries turning the key off/on and eventually the starter will engage and once it does the engine starts quickly.
I suspect that either the starter itself or perhaps the starter solenoid isn't working properly. We recently put in a new battery.
I am not sure how to remove the starter because one of the torx bolts is behind the starter gear...any directions on how this is done?
Also I cannot seem to find where the starter solenoid is located so I can test voltage with a meter.

2.When the engine does turn over and start, the mower blades turn also. We cannot seem to get the blades to diseangage. The "Attachment Clutch Lever" seems to allow the blades to turn even when it is in the "disengaged" position. Does anyone have any information on how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist with any of these problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We have another problem also...when the clutch/brake is depressed during mowing...the drive belt slips off the transaxle pulley. I believe it may be due to too much slack when the clutch/brake is depressed. Does anyone know how to adjust this to prevent the drive belt coming off?

·
That Guy
1,160 Posts
Hey there,

Chances are good your Poulin is made by AYP, try posting in the Husqvarna section- include the serial number and maybe pictures. That forum is a lot more active and you should get more help from them.

Take care!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts