My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After attempting to get my Craftsman tractor (model no. 917.270920) ready for the season - including replacing a flat rear tire, it started but does not move. The tire replacement took a bit of effort. I first thought that maybe the drive belt had dry rotted or had slackened and after replacing it, still no movement.

My next step is to try the recommendation in the manual for Transaxle Motion Control Lever Neutral Adjustment but I am not certain that this will help. I can feel the tractor trying to inch forward when put in forward or reverse but does not actually move.

I am curious if folks believe I have a transaxle or transmission issue. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Could there be a key missing/sheared between the wheel and axle (if that's how the wheel connects to the axle)?

·
Minding my P's & Q's
2,131 Posts
May have to have a helper run the controls while you lay on ground and look at pulley and fan on transaxle. See if it is spinning OK. Does not take much power to spin the pulley and drive the pump.

See if there is any kind label on the transaxle with brand and model number on it. Usually on the rear of the housing. Some one here may have the manual for it.

Fluid could be low. Manual should show how to check it.

·
22,668 Posts
If the axle keys are in place, the fluid level is correct, and the drive pulley is turning the hydro input shaft, than most likely the hydro has drained down over the winter months and needs to be primed. My Husqvarna does the same to me occasionally, but it isn't an annual event. Maybe once every 3-6 years.

Start it up, run about half throttle and about half speed on the drive control . . . and wait for it. It may take a few seconds to as much as a minute or so for the pump to pick up its prime and start moving the tractor. Follow the purge procedure in the manual once it starts moving.

If no results after two minutes, shut it down. The hydro may be worn enough that it won't draw the fluid up from the reservoir. The fluid may need to be drained and refilled, the internal filter may need to be changed (if it has one), or the hydro may need to be rebuilt.

·
Administrator
17,645 Posts
I like to start with simple stuff like what changed so did key drop out when replacing flat tire?
MikeC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts