My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This weekend a friend and I planted about half an acre of potatoes. Don't ask why - we just did. Fortunately, we will be able to share them with our kids and other family, but the main thing will be digging them up. Neither of us has a potato digger, and I'd like to find a used one, even if it needs some work. Anyone got anything they want to get rid of?

I live in Central PA, but would be willing to drive within a 3-4 hour radius to pick one up.

Thanks!

Faron

·
Registered
254 Posts
Faron,
I bought a new one at TTC for $149.00. It is fitted for my BX.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I planted 150# of potatoes this year and I do not have a digger. I use the banjo on my 4 way bucket to turn mine up and it works well. If the one for $149.00 work better I would make the investment. Sure would like to see pictures!
:wwp: :wwp: :wwp:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I will try to take pictures tonight.

·
Banned
330 Posts
Middlebuster is what some calls them,I got one and dig my tators with it,but have a bigger tractor,bet it would work on yours,but don't know,they are cheap,look on northerntools web site,tractor supply should have them.

I plant 100 lbs every year and digging/plowing them out ain't a problem,picking them up and transporting them than unloading them is the problem,you'll need plenty o help doing that come fall with 1/2 acre. Be a good time to let those that you are giving tators to,come get them,wouldn't it??:trink40:

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I got one of those. I will continue using the banjo on my 4 way. It works good. I back down the row with the banjo digging below the mounds. Then I drive back up the row and my helper puts the taters in the bucket and I take them to the area where they are being bagged up.The bags go on a pallet and I move the pallet with the forks. This seems to take a lot of labor out of the harvest.

I also use a helper and the loader to do my mounding. Ground straw and horse manure.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Space your row by first measuring the distance from center to center of your rear tires. Your first row will be under the center of your tractor and then the next will be on the other side of your rear wheels, unless you have a really wide tractor and can fit a row between the center of your tractor and the inside of your rear tire. Not likely.

I have a compact machine and with the distance between my rear tires allows plenty of room between rows so that I can use my Gravely with the rotary plow to hill them.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
254 Posts
That is what I have. Actually I was at TSC tonight and they are $139.99, not $149.00.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys!

I was sure I'd have to have a used one, that the new one would cost $500+.

My wife's happy, too.

;-)

me<><

1 - 11 of 11 Posts