My Tractor Forum banner

421 - 440 of 473 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
That is a very nice looking house and grounds. Obviously you have a lot of grass to keep cut but a view like yours would definitely me motivation to keep up on the yard work. Happy mowing!

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
That is a very nice looking house and grounds. Obviously you have a lot of grass to keep cut but a view like yours would definitely me motivation to keep up on the yard work. Happy mowing!
Looks beautiful. Land where I live is very very expensive and scarce.
Thanks guys. I mow about 1.5 acres in about 1hr per week with tbe XT3. The other 2-3 get cut with my Swisher tow brushhog. First year brushhogging and so far I haven't worked out exactly when I need to. I cut it last week when it was 10" tall but the brushhog wasn't even trying. Think I'm gonna try 12-14" about once every 4-6 weeks on that. Took me about 1.5hrs to do a couple acres

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Built new lift arms, added a new longer curl cylinder, and moved the dump pivot to the front of the Swisher bucket to gain 31" of dump height, 35" flat bucket height, and 40" max height with the bucket curled up.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
"Just one more", huh? :)

I saw a CL ad the other day for a Cub 5254, I think, $2,500, with a 3-point hitch, and maybe some other stuff. I didn't even know there was a 5xxx series! It looked pretty serious.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
"Just one more", huh? :)

I saw a CL ad the other day for a Cub 5254, I think, $2,500, with a 3-point hitch, and maybe some other stuff. I didn't even know there was a 5xxx series! It looked pretty serious.
Those 5000 series had some serious problems. I think MTD did a buyback on some of them they were so bad.

Parts are hard to come by as well or NLA. When I step up it will be one of the Yanmar collaborations MTD had like the SX3100 CUT

·
Registered
352 Posts
Built new lift arms, added a new longer curl cylinder, and moved the dump pivot to the front of the Swisher bucket to gain 31" of dump height, 35" flat bucket height, and 40" max height with the bucket curled up.
Brilliant!

Factory look, simple, strong, and looks to be easy to remove?

Obvious intelligent design with integration and function.
You have a proper height for a yard/ATV trailer, and pick-up bed on most light trucks to get something out of the bed or place in it, and still have full dump rotation, yet 40" out front when lowered and level?

You just opened a new world of possible for yourself, thank you for sharing this.

(y)

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Brilliant!

Factory look, simple, strong, and looks to be easy to remove?

Obvious intelligent design with integration and function.
You have a proper height for a yard/ATV trailer, and pick-up bed on most light trucks to get something out of the bed or place in it, and still have full dump rotation, yet 40" out front when lowered and level?

You just opened a new world of possible for yourself, thank you for sharing this.

(y)
Thank you for the kind compliments. Disconnect is the 4 hydraulic QDs, the lift cylinder top pin, and the bottom hinge pin. No tools needed.

I made a couple of temporary clamp on pins so I could slide the bucket forward on the lift arms to find the sweet spot of curl and dump before deciding where to drill the lift arm pin holes.

Strangely enough it decided that 31" to the bucket edge with the bucket dumping was what it wanted to do and moving it farther away made little difference. Like 5" away made it 1" higher lol. The 40" I posted was the bucket edge with it lifted to the top and curled. The front bucket edge is only 36" away from the front of the GT when the bucket is lowered.

I made a couple of vids right after getting the curl cylinder working.

Reactions: FLHusqGT

·
Registered
352 Posts
Strangely enough it decided that 31" to the bucket edge with the bucket dumping was what it wanted to do and moving it farther away made little difference. Like 5" away made it 1" higher lol. The 40" I posted was the bucket edge with it lifted to the top and curled. The front bucket edge is only 36" away from the front of the GT when the bucket is lowered.
I'm laughing with you. You seem to have run into the law of diminished returns, but that's old school R&D, and it's well done.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I'm laughing with you. You seem to have run into the law of diminished returns, but that's old school R&D, and it's well done.
It was strange but I had problems with my last curl setup and I wanted to R&D the heck out of this one before committing. 20mins of cut and weld to make temporary clamp on pins let me make sure I got it exactly where I wanted it.

20200504_180043.jpg
20200504_181043.jpg
20200504_182032.jpg

Reactions: WrongDoug

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
That is awesome, great job! Now for some videos of it getting to actually pick stuff up! Besides "just" picking up the front end of the tractor, that is. The end result is so cool, something like this would be a great, challenging, and rewarding project.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
That is awesome, great job! Now for some videos of it getting to actually pick stuff up! Besides "just" picking up the front end of the tractor, that is. The end result is so cool, something like this would be a great, challenging, and rewarding project.
Thank you so much. I have a couple things on order to finish this up. I have some Tivar sheet stock that will go at the pivot points as wear/anti-friction pads and some decals. Once I get those on (and take a bunch of pics) I'll tear some stuff up with it.

The old setup would lift >500lbs but not curl >~200lbs. This new setup has the same lift cylinder capacity but the new curl cylinder will actually lift the tractor. Old lift arms were weak 1/8" 1.5x2" tube, new are 3/16" 2x2 so much tougher.

Just wait till I put my old curl cylinder on my rear sleeve hitch. It should lift ~500lbs on the rear then as well lol. Right now the rear will lift 170 lbs with a little deck lift cylinder.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hey Steve, nice upgrade. Looks like you really have the system doing what you wanted. I have my full size IH 444 with a FEL so a bucket for my 3000's hasn't been any kind of priority, but I can see a real benefit of having a light weight lifting system. Our Bear Creek clay is very fragile when wet and my 7000# IH leaves marks that I have to repair if I drive on the yard when wet. As I get my front hitch totally functional, there may be some kind of scoop or bucket in it's future. Great work!

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Hey Steve, nice upgrade. Looks like you really have the system doing what you wanted. I have my full size IH 444 with a FEL so a bucket for my 3000's hasn't been any kind of priority, but I can see a real benefit of having a light weight lifting system. Our Bear Creek clay is very fragile when wet and my 7000# IH leaves marks that I have to repair if I drive on the yard when wet. As I get my front hitch totally functional, there may be some kind of scoop or bucket in it's future. Great work!

Bill
Just saw this post for some reason. Thanks man. How's it looking now with the decals on?

20200608_144922.jpg

421 - 440 of 473 Posts