My Tractor Forum banner

361 - 380 of 404 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
My new 6431 wheels. Previous wheels (silver) apparently never saw a grease gun. I think the orange is sexy. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bleed yellow and green, except for a Murray demo push power I bought at Walmart for $ 130 in the fall. That was years ago, it still works.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Here are mine:

John Deere 14SB (production date of April 1993). Estate sale find for $50. Have done lots of clean up on this one to get it shining and added the oil filter kit.

John Deere 14PZ (production date of January 1997). This one was a gift from a former co-worker of mine who knew how absolutely nuts I was about John Deere Silver Deck mowers. As you can see he kept his nearly immaculate.

The last picture is both mowers together but was taken before I added the oil filter to the 14SB.

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
I purchased this 1995 LB model 10590 from the original owner for $40. He was tired of dumping cash into it and decided to retire it this season. Was used as a residential mulcher at his 1/2 acre lot since new. He recently had it serviced and had the carb rebuilt, new fuel cut off valve, fuel line, ignition and plug installed.
It's well used and I just couldn't get it to run under load while mowing. I removed the muffler and it may be full of carbon, the exhaust port was 25% plugged.
I had two new take off M series engines and couldn't resist slapping one of these on this 10590. So now it has a fresh engine along with a new muffler. She now sounds healthy and even better while under load.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
1967 Lawn boy 3054 (4909507) powder coated in beige with chrome handle.
I had intentions of restoring my 1967 3054 like yours, but unfortunately, my collection was stolen last week. Your 3054 looks wonderful though! I'd love to hear/see details of your restoration.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here's the rest of my keeper collection that was stolen.

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
Toro 22164 PT21 commercial, Toro 20042 Super Recycler and Toro 22200 Turfmaster commercial.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Every time I see that cage, it annoys the **** out of me (on those Toro Turfmasters, but the Exmarks are the same). They basically direct tree branches onto the plastic air filter housing. If you are lucky, only the cover breaks off, unlucky and you get to buy a nice expensive carb.

I made extensions from flat iron on mine, so the cage sits about 2-3 inches higher, so now branches magically don't hit anything except the cage.

And the recommendation to turn a 170lb mower upside down so you can drain the oil out the filler tube is also beyond idiotic when there is a drain plug on the side of the engine...

And don't forget to periodically remove/lift up the front cover over the blade spindles and blow out the grass that collects there, as if you don't, it will eventually cause problems with the belt (it just keeps packing in more and more, like there is a vacuum in there, and the grass has no way to get out).

It works ok, if slightly underpowered (as the next size up motor is significantly heavier).

·
Registered
439 Posts
Every time I see that cage, it annoys the **** out of me (on those Toro Turfmasters, but the Exmarks are the same). They basically direct tree branches onto the plastic air filter housing. If you are lucky, only the cover breaks off, unlucky and you get to buy a nice expensive carb.

I made extensions from flat iron on mine, so the cage sits about 2-3 inches higher, so now branches magically don't hit anything except the cage.

And the recommendation to turn a 170lb mower upside down so you can drain the oil out the filler tube is also beyond idiotic when there is a drain plug on the side of the engine...

And don't forget to periodically remove/lift up the front cover over the blade spindles and blow out the grass that collects there, as if you don't, it will eventually cause problems with the belt (it just keeps packing in more and more, like there is a vacuum in there, and the grass has no way to get out).

It works ok, if slightly underpowered (as the next size up motor is significantly heavier).
Agreed on all counts. It's definitely a mower for properties that are regularly maintained, it doesn't like overgrown grass at all.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Here's what I did to my Toro Turfmaster to make it work better for me:

I added an extension to the front bar, and a pair of extensions to the back, just in case Toro is using the bars as any kind of support for the frame of the machine (unlikely, but possible). I also bought another cross-brace for the front, to give the front of the engine a bit more protection.

So far, this works pretty good for working around pine tree's. Now, ever once in awhile, a branch will spring along the side and hit the throttle to the off position, but that's pretty rare.

I also made longer supports for the handlebars, so it's at a better height for me (I'm 6'5").

Now I need to have a pouch sewn into the top of the bag to store plastic bags in...

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm 6'5 also, the longer handlebar supports sounds interesting. I haven't had an issue with the air filter/throttle being hit, but that is a pretty resourceful solution!

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
I really like having the higher handlebars. The Turfmaster needs extra help to get going, and I found my shoulders are happier not having to push with the handlebars so low (at Toro's "regular" maximum height). I made them about the same height as they are on my Ariens walk-behinds.

I did a similar thing to my Ariens 34" WAW, which needed an actual extension made for the handlebars vs just tilting them a little more. For this, I cut a piece of pipe the same diameter as the handlebar tubes in half, and inserted the halves between where the handlebar tubes separate for shipping. It added about 3-4" in height, and again makes a big difference in handling it (it has a lot of torque-steer on slopes).

361 - 380 of 404 Posts