My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we rented a gas powered post hole auger to dig some holes for the 4x4's for our Llama shelter yesterday and for some reason it couldn't dig its way out of a wet paper bag. I took the auger back anf they gave me another on and same thing the tip goes in all the way and the actual auged will only barely cut below the grass and then just spins around making the ground nice and flat. I reneted one of these a few years ago and it worked great but no luck this time. Any ideas as to the cause of the lack of bite into the ground this has would be great as I need to get this shelter done asap..

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Sounds like a poorly designed auger combined with hard dry clay. Look for an auger with a more aggressive cutter. Punch a starter hole with a steel bar and wiggle it around to enlarge and then pre-soak the ground to soften it.

Try running the auger at lower RPMs.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I've had hard clay. I got a 3/4in pipe and a pipe to garden hose fitting and jetted it to the depth. this gives you a starter hole and the water softens the ground , away you go ,works great. one thing I did was get two fittings and one of those short jet nozzles for the end of the jetting end of the pipe , that works better than just the open end of it.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
the bit itself could just be a worn out piece of junk too.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I did the soak the ground thing and managed to get a couple down to 17" and the rest to abt 13 or 14. Not as deep as I wanted but it will do for now. I used my 55 gallon sprayer and just opened the spray wand tip fired up the engine and let it run for abt 5 min. Repeated this abt 1/2 hr later and that was the results.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have one of the Earthquake one man augers which worked extrememly well when I was in the Houston area. When I went to put a fence around my wife's garden area here in Kerrville I was introduced to black clay. The auger would shoot thorugh the topsoil (8 -18 inches in places) but would just sit on top of the clay and spin after that. I asked around and folks told me I needed a bar, so I tried using a digging bar on the clay, before I finaly taught mysef how to use the digging bar I had about decided what they were actually talking about was the kid of bar where you sit, drink beer, and talk about how you are now too old to dig post holes.....:sidelaugh :trink39:

I finally decided that it was not worth the noise and smoke to use the auger to make the easy part of the hole either so ended up digging them with the clam shell type post hole digger and the digging bar. Adding water just turns the black clay into a sticky mess which I prefer not to work with. I've decided that digging post holes in the Texas Hill Country is not for wimps.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
For fence posts, I just drive them in with a post pounder. The last time I needed to auger for sonotube foundation work, I rented a bobcat.

My neighbor is a farmer and he has the mother of all post drivers on his 3PT. It will hammer in the large wood posts but it will also pulverize them if they are a little weak.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I rented an auger this past weekend to put in a flag pole and a tree. Had the same problems. My soil was damp. I had to have the other half push down with me to get it to cut into the soil. We have about a foort of soil before we hit the clay, which goes for about 18 inches.

·
Landscaping Nut
1,362 Posts
If you have a lot to do in a short period I'd rent this machine again. I rented this one from HD and did 47 holes 30" deep. Its hydraulic system runs the auger and provides plenty of force up or down.

It also comes with a tiller, loader bucket and a trencher. Has three or four different bits as well as a wallet vacuum. Its loads of fun and will work your ars as you try to use the it the entire rental period. I'd love to own one.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Iv'e see those. We opted for the hand held 2 cycle type. The other tow behinds are good for anything larger than 8" in diameter and deeper that 2 feet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts