My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking for a rider locally that's not a basket case and I may have found one. Yeah... I passed on a 5665 last weekend, but made a couple nice trades (financial) and can easily spend the money for this now.
I'm waiting to hear back from the seller, but in the meantime based upon his somewhat vague description I think I've narrowed it down.

Only have the one pic of the tractor.

He says it's powered by a 16hp Onan, which would make it a 8162 or 8163, is that correct? Unless it's a transplant.
Can't make out the model #, but it looks like it has something written under the number. Professional/Commercial ? I'm not sure if it's anything at all really.
Can anyone tell visually if this is a long frame or short frame? I'm not sure what the clues are.

Thanks for your help

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
It would be a long frame tractor. Models were either the 8177 or 8179 Commercial. If it had the 19.9 HP Onan it would be an 8199 Commercial. 1979 to 1981 vintage.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It would be a long frame tractor. Models were either the 8177 or 8179 Commercial. If it had the 19.9 HP Onan it would be an 8199 Commercial. 1979 to 1981 vintage.
Don...

What visual clues tells you it's a long frame? Just want to educate myself.
It does look to have a long wheelbase with room for a large mower deck.

He also did say it was late 70's/early 80's vintage.

thanks

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts
If you look at the spacing between the front grill and the gas cap, that's how I judge it. There is a 4" difference and after you looked at a bunch of these, you'll see the difference.

IMG_4354s.JPG IMG_4355s.JPG

The orange stripe was used on Commercials, the Professionals have a blue strip.

A manual lift tractor would have a long handle on the left side and we can see in the picture that it's a very short one, so it's hydraulic.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you look at the spacing between the front grill and the gas cap, that's how I judge it. There is a 4" difference and after you looked at a bunch of these, you'll see the difference.

A manual lift tractor would have a long handle on the left side and we can see in the picture that it's a very short one, so it's hydraulic.

Thanks for the education !!!
I'll see if he can email me some hi res photos as well as confirm the model # and serial #.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
If it were me my only email to the seller would be ""SOLD - When can I come get it?"

·
Registered
1,478 Posts

View attachment 273689 View attachment 273697

To tell if it's a long or short frame I look at the latches to mount the mower deck. A short frame has the latches really close to the steering tierods. A long frame has 4 more inches of room between the latches and the tierods.

That looks like a nice tractor (long frame, Onan engine, hyd lift, front PTO)
Jason

·
Premium Member
3,436 Posts
That's a pretty rare machine and worth going after if the price is right vs. what work it needs.

Long frame tractors can also be identified from the side by the presence of 2 sets of threaded holes for the shoulder bolts for the lift assist kit.

EDIT: rear wheel weights $150 complete front drive kit with driveshaft $350 brush in good condition $350 I'd have no trouble dropping nearly a grand on that machine and I haven't even gotten to the deck or the tractor itself.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seller says it's an 8169 commercial. He does not think the motor is original. I think those originally came with a 16hp briggs, didn't they?

He's only had it for a couple years. He will send hi res pics today.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
That should the correct engine. Looks like a B43 to me. It might be a replacement, but it looks original to me. Why doesn't he think it's original?
I just asked him if he knew the history of it and he mentioned that he thinks the motor is not the original.
My Gravely data sheet says:
8169 commercial: B&S Engine, 16hp.
8179 commercial: Onan Engine, 16.5hp, twin cylinder

Perhaps you could special order the 8169 with the Onan twin.

Here is a pic of the deck that I forgot to post earlier...
Is it a 42 inch ???

·
Premium Member
3,436 Posts
I just asked him if he knew the history of it and he mentioned that he thinks the motor is not the original.
My Gravely data sheet says:
8169 commercial: B&S Engine, 16hp.
8179 commercial: Onan Engine, 16.5hp, twin cylinder

Perhaps you could special order the 8169 with the Onan twin.

Here is a pic of the deck that I forgot to post earlier...
Is it a 42 inch ???

That's a 40" deck, too narrow for the 8169. Looks to be in good shape though.

·
Premium Member
3,436 Posts
Well that won't be of much use to me then...
So the 40" deck won't fit on any long frames?
It will fit but the rear wheels are wider than the deck is. I think all long frames had the wheels in the "wide" position, but the advantage of the Briggs single is you can run them narrow too.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It will fit but the rear wheels are wider than the deck is.
Forgive my ignorance, but what difference does that make?

I've never mowed using a rider/tractor, so as soon as someone explains it it will probably make perfect sense.

·
Premium Member
3,436 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but what difference does that make?

I've never mowed using a rider/tractor, so as soon as someone explains it it will probably make perfect sense.
If the rear wheels stick out a couple inches past the edge of the mower deck it will leave an uncut swath of grass around obstacles. It will also take longer. And you will be smooshing grass that you will be trying to cut on the next pass.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If the rear wheels stick out a couple inches past the edge of the mower deck it will leave an uncut swath of grass around obstacles. It will also take longer. And you will be smooshing grass that you will be trying to cut on the next pass.
Got it !!! :duh:

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
Don't let the deck hold you up. 50" deck is easy to find. Heck I'd almost swap a 50" for a 40". That's still a screaming deal there and decks can be shipped rather easily.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts