My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of searching, phone calls, emails, saving money, spending money, and so forth, the day has come (well in a few days) where I might be buying my first truck!

The truck in question is....

-1996 GMC k2500
-4x4
-6.5 Detroit Turbo Diesel
-Ext. Cab
-8' Bed
-Dark green exterior (my favorite!)
-New tires mounted on 2003 Sierra 2500 chrome wheels
-New brakes
-Tool box

Now the truck has 137,000 miles, and at 100,000 miles the engine and injection system were replaced by a dealer, and the seller says he has the receipts from it. Also, interestingly enough, the truck has been set up so in addition to diesel, it can run on biodiesel or cooking oil.

Im really excited to go look at it.

In the ad, there was no number to call so I sent what I hope/know to be is a seller's dream email.

"My name is Hugh and I am interested in your truck. I am prepared to pay full asking price, and I can come get it Thursday afternoon"

So I am waiting to hear back, the ad was relisted yesterday, so I highly doubt it has sold yet.

Fingers crossed!

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,948 Posts
Good luck, Hugh! Hope it works out for you!

('Bout time you got one! :) Its taken you ALMOST as long as its taking me to restore the 112! Well, not really... But I BET thats how it feels to YOU!)

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Make sure the PMD has been relocated and verify the receipts of that work completed. if the PMD has not been relocated, it will become a headache. Also I would be leary of the greasecar/ biodiesel hookup.. it may be fine but there hard on engines, and I would remove the hookup... Also be aware, an extended cab long bed is hard to manuver. I have essentially the same thing down to the color, but a 1500 and it's not diesel. I ditched the bed cap. it was 300ish lbs and I need an easily opened bed.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Good luck on getting your truck. I have a 89 GMC 1500 and and it's a nice soild truck. That should be a great tractor hauler lol.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
DETROIT DIESEL??????????? Are you sure it wasnt a Duramax?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
DETROIT DIESEL??????????? Are you sure it wasnt a Duramax?
After the Olds 5.7 diesel GM had Detroit make a diesel for their light duty trucks (I think GM owned Detroit Diesel then). The 6.2 and 6.5 were both made by Detroit. The Duramax didn't come out until 2001 and was a joint venture between GM and Isuzu (GM owns Isuzu.) :fing32:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Good luck Hugh. Don't shy away from it based on what you hear about 6.5L. They have a few quirks but they are fairly simple fixes. I have a 95 with the 6.5 and have been happy with it after a few fixes. It has nearly 425 000 km. on now.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I talked to the guy today, and we are all set! I will be driving up with my dad Thursday after school.

I plan on removing and selling the veggie hook up, I have no use for it.

The seller is including a PMD relocating kit in the sale, just the harness and wiring.

Keep in mind the engine and PMD only have 37k on them.

Here is a pic!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
33,699 Posts
Nice looking truck there Hugh! That just might get you down to PA Plow day with a GT!

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, Ill be there come **** or high water Tim :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
looks nice, any plans for it?

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Short term - Cold air intake thats probably it.

Long term - maybe level it and do 33's, exhaust, gauges

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Short term - Cold air intake thats probably it.

Long term - maybe level it and do 33's, exhaust, gauges
Now that sounds like a good plan Hugh. :thThumbsU Good luck on Thursday.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Factory intake is Cold air. they pull from the passanger side fenderwell. Make sure everything is what it seems. The owner put in a new engine well before the old 1 should have failed. Some had crankshaft issues, all had injection troubles caused by the PMD. if the truck is driven an average amount, it had the work done within the last 2 years. with the PMD kit not installed but included, indicates there could be an issue and the owner might just want to offload it before somthing happens again.. Diesels are an expensive fix if there is an issue

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He is selling the truck because he has 5 kids and needs a quad cab. He bought one and now is selling this truck

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I am also skeptical on those CAI kits. The stock one should be more than enough until you start making crazy amounts of HP. I've even heard the let in more crap then the OEM filter.

I would instead get all of the fluids changed and up to date (tranny for sure, transfer case, diffs, and engine coolant.) I would also check for obvious signs of high miles (seat wear, door hinges, etc.) It takes me about 10 minutes to change a cluster on one of these trucks...

Later on a pyrometer and boost gauge are nice. Especially if you plan on rolling coal. :cool:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts