My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an older GT 93-96ish (Dark Grey vertical motor) for sale about a 1/2hr from me (if it's still available) and this is the ad:

I have a craftsman lawn mower
19.5 hp kohler moter 42 inch deck '

this is a winter project. has a fuel issue Once it starts running its good but getting it to start is the main problem.
has new blades

I know it could be a fuel pump, maybe a cracked fuel line, or the carb. How are the Kohler carbs/ pumps to work on? And if I can't get it started to check it out, would you take the chance and buy it? Any tips to get it started? The asking price is $190.00 and it is a hydro tranny.

TY!
Chris

· Registered
368 Posts
Well if it runs good after starting, It probably is not fuel pump or fuel line, I would say the choke probably needs adjusting as it may not be closing all the way..

d

· Registered
319 Posts
Figure it this way.
1. Take the price of a similar brand new model.
2. Subtract the price of the used Tractor.
3. Subtract the price of a replacing the Transaxle or Engine if you get a Lemon.
4. Now how much do you save over a new Tractor?

Thats the way I figured on my used GT5000. He wanted 1000, I told him a new Hydro or Motor would run another 1000 and it would be too close to a new Craftsman. That way 700 made sense for the tractor. Fortunatly the engine and Hydro we're just fine. The money I saved over New I put into tires, wheel weights, Johnny Bucket and sleeve hitch, attachments, etc. etc.

Land vehicle Vehicle Lawn Riding mower Grass
Land vehicle Vehicle Lawn Mower Riding mower
Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Soil Bumper
Soil Vehicle Plant

· Registered
368 Posts
Oatville

I was looking closer at your sleeve hitch.. Is that a Sears sleeve hitch that you modified yourself? Or did you buy another brand? ( not refering to the power lift but the hitch itself..

Looks good.

d

· Cranky Motorsports
15,197 Posts
Figure it this way.
1. Take the price of a similar brand new model.
2. Subtract the price of the used Tractor.
3. Subtract the price of a replacing the Transaxle or Engine if you get a Lemon.
4. Now how much do you save over a new Tractor?

Thats the way I figured on my used GT5000. He wanted 1000, I told him a new Hydro or Motor would run another 1000 and it would be too close to a new Craftsman. That way 700 made sense for the tractor. Fortunatly the engine and Hydro we're just fine. The money I saved over New I put into tires, wheel weights, Johnny Bucket and sleeve hitch, attachments, etc. etc.

View attachment 127238 View attachment 127239 View attachment 127240 View attachment 127241
I think you spent more than you saved! :ROF I won't tell the wife :hide:

· Registered
319 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.