My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm very familar with engine theory, etc. Just that this air cooled K181 in my uncle's "new" 110 RF is throwing me for a curve. Here is a video I took of it after I finally got it running.

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm19/jseim44/John Deere/?action=view&current=P1231269.mp4

If you watch closely it almost looks like exhaust is blowing out of the side of the head. The thing is running rich as can be - and I've messed with the air screws on the carb but haven't had much luck. It will fill my shop up with smoke in less than 2 minutes. I felt along the head to block mating area for air movement, but it was tough to tell because the flywheel was blowing air around the engine....just like it's designed to. Anyway, I'm thinking the head gasket is out because it has 30 lbs compression. I'm guessing that is low since the K321 in my 140 has 45-50 lbs and it runs OK. What range should these old flathead Kohler's be running in? Any insight?

·
Registered
282 Posts
check to see if it is the easy start with built in compression release.
then check the compression by turning the engine backwards,
the compression should be a lot higher then. clean the carburetor and check the valve settings. wouldn't hurt to go ahead and pull the head to de carbon it. check to see if the muffler is partially plugged. good luck with the 110

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did a leakdown test today and found it leaking by the rings, as well as the exhaust valve. Thinking a teardown is in order and see what things look like. Peaking through the spark plug hole you'd think it was a diesel engine as black and sooted up as everything is. Rebuild kits for the K181's aren't that expensive so I guess it won't be all a bad thing. Rebuild the engine then we'll know what we got....

·
Premium Member
5,741 Posts
It 's not running rich, but it is burning some oil. I also noticed the sound of a leaky exhaust valve, but it's hard to tell for sure with the sound quality of the video. The governor also needs adjustment, it's not as sensitive as it should be on a K engine.

·
Three of my friends
9,344 Posts
The valve is possibly burned,start it and hold a dollar bill close over the exhaust if it sucks the dollar bill into the pipe you probably have a burned valve,my 110 had one also

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.