My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
12,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finding myself thinking of purchasing a new rider to replace a JD S82 RER W/bagger that I've had for 26 years. The little rider is a great machine as RER's go, one of the best IMHO, but the 8HP flathead B&S is obsolete and short blocks are NLA. I've replaced the original with a B&S short block once, bought a used engine once and rebuilt the engine in it now. It's run fine for three or four years now but has developed a slight crankshaft knock at idle, wide open you'd never know it. I'm thinking of running it for this season, and possibly next season but am starting to do a little research on a replacement. This machine has had hundreds, if not a thousands of hours over the years mowing my wife's late grandparents back acreage, her parents acre or so and my own property as well. Her grandparents bought the rider new from the local dealer (long gone) back in 86'.

I've taken a liking to the XT-2 with 42" cutting deck and Kohler engine, but am concerned about the K46 trans that the XT-1 and 2 come equipped with. I haven't read much good about it. My yard is flat and small by comparison to most of you folks, one third acre including the house and three stall garage. The rider is more of a luxury that I afford myself rather than a necessity since I'm on my feet all day at work. It will tow a yard cart with clippings out to the compost pile behind my fence. No real heavy lifting, snow / dirt plowing or snow blowing etc. just a dedicated lawn mower.

I've never had a Hydro Drive tractor, always had manual transmissions and would like another if given the choice, but they are all but obsolete too. Will the K-46 live a long life for me?

Prospective tractor:
CC XT-2.png

Current rider, this one is not my own but the same machine although not as nice.
S82.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
I think you'll be fine with the K46 for that use. Heat is its enemy and you are unlikely to overheat it with your small, flat yard.

If I bought a K46 mower I would use my air hose siphon and suck out the dino oil in the hydro after 30 hrs and replace it with full synthetic.

Dont know if that would create a warranty issue but it would protect the hydro.

·
MTF Like A Virgin Poster
4 Posts
I've killed a used K46. It will last you a good while, but keep in mind that it is designed NOT to last forever, and NOT to be repaired. An upgrade axle costs as much as a new LT, $2,000. My dad has a very similar (maybe the same) LT, and it's a pretty good machine. Turning is almost as tight as your RER, easy steering, easy to climb on and off. Definitely get the "optional" bumper, as those hoods on every brand are the first thing to get broken, and they are $$$. You will love the LED headlights, and probably hate the nanny-mode reverse safety feature, but you can turn it off. Find or make a seat cover, as the plastic doesn't weather well.

Patrick

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Troy-Bilt Pony has a 42" deck and a 7 speed transmission if your set on a manual. I've seen a couple reviews and people seem to like them. But I guess that's like anything there will always be hater's.
Not trying to steer you from a Cub but you said you would like a manual.
I just got an XT3 GS mainly because of the k46 trans and I didn't want belt drive. My old Cub was shaft drive and had a better trans and lasted 15 years for me and still going for the new owner.
Would it be possible to repower your old mower with a modern single just a thought

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
12,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to explore many options before I make a purchase, or repair the S82 again. The biggest issues with a re-power are packaging, with the flip up hood heat is an issue for a different engine configuration and the exhaust. The modern OHV engines have the exhaust in a different location than the flathead. May go with another rebuild of the 8hp, who knows. I'm a little hesitant to spend $2K or so and possibly have a trans failure, I want to retire with whatever I buy.

I'll keep looking around and see what presents itself. :tango_face_smile:

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
I'm finding myself thinking of purchasing a new rider to replace a JD S82 RER W/bagger that I've had for 26 years. The little rider is a great machine as RER's go, one of the best IMHO, but the 8HP flathead B&S is obsolete and short blocks are NLA. I've replaced the original with a B&S short block once, bought a used engine once and rebuilt the engine in it now. It's run fine for three or four years now but has developed a slight crankshaft knock at idle, wide open you'd never know it. I'm thinking of running it for this season, and possibly next season but am starting to do a little research on a replacement. This machine has had hundreds, if not a thousands of hours over the years mowing my wife's late grandparents back acreage, her parents acre or so and my own property as well. Her grandparents bought the rider new from the local dealer (long gone) back in 86'.

I've taken a liking to the XT-2 with 42" cutting deck and Kohler engine, but am concerned about the K46 trans that the XT-1 and 2 come equipped with. I haven't read much good about it. My yard is flat and small by comparison to most of you folks, one third acre including the house and three stall garage. The rider is more of a luxury that I afford myself rather than a necessity since I'm on my feet all day at work. It will tow a yard cart with clippings out to the compost pile behind my fence. No real heavy lifting, snow / dirt plowing or snow blowing etc. just a dedicated lawn mower.

I've never had a Hydro Drive tractor, always had manual transmissions and would like another if given the choice, but they are all but obsolete too. Will the K-46 live a long life for me?

Prospective tractor:
View attachment 2378733

Current rider, this one is not my own but the same machine although not as nice.
View attachment 2378735
For your size Yard it will be perfect. Your yard is perfect for the K46. I thought you have a JD 214 for heavier tasks :thThumbsU

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
I've killed a used K46. It will last you a good while, but keep in mind that it is designed NOT to last forever, and NOT to be repaired. An upgrade axle costs as much as a new LT, $2,000. My dad has a very similar (maybe the same) LT, and it's a pretty good machine. Turning is almost as tight as your RER, easy steering, easy to climb on and off. Definitely get the "optional" bumper, as those hoods on every brand are the first thing to get broken, and they are $$$. You will love the LED headlights, and probably hate the nanny-mode reverse safety feature, but you can turn it off. Find or make a seat cover, as the plastic doesn't weather well.

Patrick
Oh the K46 Can be re-built. The Manufacture of the Tractors May say it's Not re-build-able But Tuff-Torq actually makes kits for there Transmissions so They Can be re-built :thThumbsU

·
Administrator
12,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For your size Yard it will be perfect. Your yard is perfect for the K46. I thought you have a JD 214 for heavier tasks :thThumbsU
I still have the 214, it will do the heavy lifting for sure, as soon as I get it finished. I have a Cozy Cab for it and a plow blade for clearing my driveway. There may still be a snowblower attachment and weight box as well, if I can ever get out to NY to claim it.

Oh the K46 Can be re-built. The Manufacture of the Tractors May say it's Not re-build-able But Tuff-Torq actually makes kits for there Transmissions so They Can be re-built :thThumbsU
Good to know, thanks for the info. :tango_face_smile:

·
Administrator
12,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Went to HD for a new Echo weed whacker tonight after work, the GT 225 to be exact. Going to try it out tomorrow. Anyhow, they had an XT-1 sitting out front next to a JD E160. I sat on the XT-1 with the 42" mowing deck, essentially the one I want except I want the XT-2 with the Kohler engine. Boy it felt nice to sit on a new machine, very comfortable seat, easy step through design and nicely laid out controls. I especially like the manual blade control rather than an electric pto. I looked into the comparable JD, the E140 with a 42" cutting deck. It's about the same money and same k46 rear end. The E100-130 has an even lesser rear end and I'm not going there.

I may be in the market sooner than expected if a few things fall into place, but I'm not banking on it just yet but I plan to visit my local Cub and JD dealer to test ride each machine to see which I like more. I like the green but the Cub yellow looks really good to me at this point. ;)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
.....I may be in the market sooner than expected if a few things fall into place, but I'm not banking on it just yet but I plan to visit my local Cub and JD dealer to test ride each machine to see which I like more. I like the green but the Cub yellow looks really good to me at this point. ;)
Cub is still offering $100.00 off the XT2 for the next few days and I think you'll be greatly impressed with the cut quality of the 42" deck.:thThumbsU Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree that the k46 will most likely be a good choice for your situation.
If you look at the XT1 GT50 it has a k58 trans, and the XT1 GT54 (Fab deck) has a K62 trans. Both those transmissions are more robust ( and possibly overkill) than the k46. AS always, the cost factor goes up. Don't know where your $$ target is, but thought I would bring those two to your attention.

I recently purchased an [email protected] GX54 and am suprised at it ability to turn in a short radius as well as the cut quality. Cut my mowing time by 1/3 over my 2001 Husqvarna 42" lawn tractor.
Good Luck in your decision

·
Administrator
12,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree that the k46 will most likely be a good choice for your situation.
If you look at the XT1 GT50 it has a k58 trans, and the XT1 GT54 (Fab deck) has a K62 trans. Both those transmissions are more robust ( and possibly overkill) than the k46. AS always, the cost factor goes up. Don't know where your $$ target is, but thought I would bring those two to your attention.

I recently purchased an [email protected] GX54 and am suprised at it ability to turn in a short radius as well as the cut quality. Cut my mowing time by 1/3 over my 2001 Husqvarna 42" lawn tractor.
Good Luck in your decision
Thanks OF, I'll have a look. :tango_face_smile:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the XT2 w/46" fab deck and love it. Definitely try and stick with the XT2 series, those small upgrades will help down the road. The XT1 42" and the single cylinder engine I hear creates a lot of vibrations. I have a .5 acres lot with a burm and the trans handles that no problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts