My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New member here from Tennessee. Forgive me if my questions seem naive as I'm not really mechanically minded.

I have an 11 month old Craftsman T130 (CMXGRAM1130038) with a B&S engine which I'm getting ready for the spring. I've changed the oil & filter, fuel and air filters, and checked the spark and battery both of which are good. After pouring in a bit of new gasoline into the tank I expected the mower to start, especially as it was 100% problem free last season. However, it didn't.

The only problem I can come up with is the carburetor which may be partly blocked with last year's gas - even though I thought I had burned it off after the last cut. However, my knowledge stops here. What do I do to open it up so I can clean it with some carb spray? Do I loosen the bottom part and can I get to it that way? I've attached an image below.

Any help gratefully received. Thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Take the air filter off and shoot some starting fluid into the tube while trying to start it, if that doesn’t work u probably will have to drop the bowl off the carb to see if it’s old gas or water buildup. A thin 1/2 in wrench will be needed to take off the solenoid under the carb bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
801 Posts
Do not use starting fluid. Use carb cleaner. If you can get it started add SeaFoam or equivalent to gas to help clean out fuel system. You didn't say, but guessing you didn't put Stabil or equivalent in gas? If it's a small engine, you need gas stabilizer in the gas can at all times so it ends up in the tank.

·
5,824 Posts
Hi Felonious...welcome to MTF..thank you for joining in here...how about shooting over to Introductions it is our introductions forum...tell the membership about yourself and your equipment
I would start with that carburetor bowl also....most likely some water build up....I know you ran it out of fuel....but adding something like seafoam, stabil or even Marvel Mystery Oil will leave a film of some protectant...it does not always help...but for what it costs it is well worth the effort...good luck gettin 'er goin'

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
I would expect to find that a small amount of fuel remained in the bowl, and it gummed up the pintle in the ABF valve hanging from the bottom of the bowl. When you turn the ignition to ON, power is supplied to the windings of the ABF, causing the pintle to retract. It is spring-loaded to close and restrict fuel flow when power is removed. If stuck, it will limit flow to the gizzards of the carburetor, and perhaps make it unstartable.
You can remove the air cleaner lid, and drizzle in some fuel, perhaps a generous teaspoon, replace the lid, and see if it will start and run for a few seconds on that fuel. If so, you definitely have a fuel restriction, possibly the ABF or possibly also a float valve with a sticking needle. The flow valve should have opened and allowed the fuel bowl to fill when you put fuel in the tank. Unless you have a fuel pump, in which case you would have to crank the engine long enough to draw fuel from the tank and feed it to the float bowl.
tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your advice and suggestions everybody. It seems it was indeed a gummed up carb. I worked in some Mechanic in a Bottle, let it stand overnight, and she fired up the next morning...with a few coughs and sneezes. Running sweet as a nut now ready for the first cut.

Wishing you all success and enjoyment with your equipment this year.

·
Super Moderator
3,761 Posts
Good deal... you got away with it. Next year use some Sta-bil or like in the tank to help not have it happen again.

And welcome to MTF. ?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Another thing that might help out with these small engines is ethanol free fuel. I used to have issues with my smaller motors starting switched to the ethanol free gas with stabilizer and every year starts right up.

·
Father Deerest
2,749 Posts
Great to hear it all worked out. All my red cans get 91, 4-5gal, 1-6gal, 1and 2gal for the minimal upfront cost fuel issues are a thing of the past, I also run seafoam as a maintenance conditioner.

·
Super Moderator
30,895 Posts
Glad that you got it taken care of, ethanol fuels are not small engine friendly. You can't leave machines sitting with it for any real amount of time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts