My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!My name is Alex,i'm from Roumania (land of Dracula :D ),i am 38 and been a city guy from birth,but my wife is from small village,up in the mountains where they harvesting a lot of potatoes.This the 4th year by doing ALL working with the horse and by hand and i said "enough:I want a litlle tractor".(Actually is not our horse,it is of her uncle,he have 3 boys who help him with every rural work at the farm,so the horse is kind of busy)
3 years ago we bought a tiller http://www.bricomax.ro/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductKey=6439 like this,but is doing JUST what is made for(is doing well),and just that.At maximum power (i think about 4.5 hp,not what the dealer sais),it is a litlle faster for me and is very difficult to drive it.
Surfing the web and searching help and/or ideas,i found your site,wich is made me very glad,and readed almoust all threads from the homemade tractor,but i get sad 'cause you almost all are you using old car pieces,wich i can find here in roumania,and i can't buy it from ebay( to expensive for my pocket)
Anyway,i find the vintage site,too, and i decided to build something like that http://www.mytractorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=176027&stc=1&d=1317465032 ,but with wide front whells,with 1.5-2 miles per hour,i would to be a worker machine (maybe a 4x4).
First question is i MUST use chains and gear whells instead of v-belts at final transmision?
Second:is ok if i want to use bicycle chain or i MUST use bike chain(like speed bike's chain) or industrial type?
Other questions later.
Thank you for patience!

Attachments

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Hello, Alex

In my opinion, chains are a little tougher if you use the industrial style. But, belts will work just as well as small bicycle chain and belts do offer a little slip if you hit obstructions (rocks, tree roots or 'junk') hidden in your ground.

I think your idea of building a tiller is a great idea. It gives you, the designer, lots of room to make it specific to your needs :fing32:

Good luck and we'll be looking forward to your ideas!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually it'll be a litlle pull-tractor with one speed,a normal people walking speed(around 1.5mph)and locks-like no reverse,because the engine haven't it(i figured out how i can do it(2 rubber friction disc moved by a lever,tiding a belt and getting the reverse movement),but i'm not sure if i implement it.Yet,i'm still having problem with the frame size;i forgot to bring home the tiller :D .(I was at the "farm" harvesting the potatoes all the week and i was deadly-tired:almost 9000 lb with horse and by hand in 5 days)

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Welcome Alex.

I suppose in the design you list, you could use either industrial V-Belts or a chain at least the size of motorcycle chain as your final drive. Of course, if you use a belt, you need to add a tensioner pulley.

One problem you will have with your design is that unless you make some sort of provision for the outside rear wheel to turn faster than the inside rear wheel in a turn, you may snap the chain on the inside wheel.

So if you have read many posts here, you know we love pictures, so how about some pictures of your wife's family farm?

·
Super Moderator
33,643 Posts
Alex, I would use old motorcycle chain and sprockets as they are significantly stronger than bicycle chains and should be relatively easy to find.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The woman in traditional closes is my sister who love "rural heritage",and the little engine is the "donor" for my future mini-tractor.The white short wearing "girl" is may wife,and the older woman,that who is sitting on a chair is my mom (78 year old).The guy who drinking coffee is my sister's husband(not myself :D )

Attachments

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
You have a very handsome family and a beautiful property. I love the traditional clothing.

Thanks for the photos!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi Alex, Welcome aboard!!!1 I have 2 things to add. the first came from a previous post. They talked about motorcycle chain. I agree, plus why not use the engine and transmission out of it> That way you can keep the tiller in one piece. And if you would need more reduction, you could add another mnotorcycly trans. Second. Here is a link to a reversable transmission. There are 4 or 5 videos on building the trans. http://www.youtube.com/user/Gizmo4t#p/u/0/mj3UCGJtr2M Hope this helps

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you peoples!
Hi Alex, Welcome aboard!!!1 I have 2 things to add. the first came from a previous post. They talked about motorcycle chain. I agree, plus why not use the engine and transmission out of it> That way you can keep the tiller in one piece. And if you would need more reduction, you could add another mnotorcycly trans.
Ok,so i stick to motorcycle trans as FINAL transmision,i will gearing down to 3:1 or 4:1 becouse it have a 155rpm at 11.8 inch diameter(the tiller tooth diameter) and want to use a pair of 15.7 to 16 inch,ballbeared rubber wheels (very cheap,there are wheelbarrow wheels),i can't get bigger wheels.And yes,i will use it's own transmision,too(there is the 155 rpm).
As the second point,i understud the hole transmision part,and it give me another ideea for reverse :D. Thanks a lot for the link.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would leave the tiller in tact and find another motor to be dedicated to the tractor. Do you have junk yards or salvage yards?
Nice looking farm and family.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Hi Alex, Welcome aboard!!!1 I have 2 things to add. the first came from a previous post. They talked about motorcycle chain. I agree, plus why not use the engine and transmission out of it> That way you can keep the tiller in one piece. And if you would need more reduction, you could add another mnotorcycly trans. Second. Here is a link to a reversable transmission. There are 4 or 5 videos on building the trans. http://www.youtube.com/user/Gizmo4t#p/u/0/mj3UCGJtr2M Hope this helps
This is true creativity especially with limited tools & machinery .

Mike

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
That soil is very rich looking.....nice family unit, and beautiful potato plants! Hope to see you get this project off the design phase and into the field.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Welcome aboard and I love that sunset and farm photo's. It looks very much like where I live in the Adirondack mountains of NY. Looking at that potato field though, I even hate to think of doing it with a horse. I skidded logs with one years ago and know that it's hard enough just to keep up with them, to say nothing about wrestling a plow or hiller at the same time.
The only problem with wheelbarrow tires is that they're going to do a lot if spinning unless maybe you put chains on them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
507 Posts
Guys,
What does shipping cost to Romania? Wondering if "we" might be able to put together a care package of parts he can't get.
Are there import restrictions?

Easy for me to suggest as I don't have anything to contribute, so I'm spending other people's money.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thank you peoples!

diameter) and want to use a pair of 15.7 to 16 inch,ballbeared rubber wheels (very cheap,there are wheelbarrow wheels),i can't get bigger wheels.

Alex,
what I meant was that wheelbarrow tires are generally straight ribbed with no traction tread like lugs or knobs and would easily break traction and spin, but might work with snow type chains.

Also, transmissions for reversing only are used on some ATV's like Polaris, but that might be hard to find in Romania and shipping from here would probably cost more than the transmission.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Guys,
What does shipping cost to Romania? Wondering if "we" might be able to put together a care package of parts he can't get.
Are there import restrictions?
:thanku: :thThumbsU :trink39: :fing32::drunkie:
Serious,guys,very nice from you but it's ok!I manage it!

"This is true creativity especially with limited tools & machinery .

Mike".

Like he sais,i handle it!Thank you all!

"Alex,
what I meant was that wheelbarrow tires are generally straight ribbed with no traction tread like lugs or knobs and would easily break traction and spin, but might work with snow type chains."

I got the picture(i misunderstud,sry),i'll build something like a collegue of me on a roumanian site,from the tiller thread :D Ok,those are much bigger then wheelbarrow wheels,but i thinking at the same solution as him.
There is another ideea,my wife put it in my mind,that i can use 12" or 13" car wheels with the solution from above,or with snow chain.

Attachments

·
Citizen of Earth
15,298 Posts
Alex, welcome to the forum, and I am glad we have been of some help to you. As to your design, motorcycle chain is good, v-belt is good, use what you can find and don't be afraid to adapt to different ways to solve the problem.

I enjoyed your photos VERY much, your family has a beautiful farm. But when I saw all those potato plants, it made my own back hurt just thinking about harvesting all of that by hand with the aid of a horse. I wish you good luck in designing your tractor. I hope you have access to a place with discarded machinery, cars, motorcycles where you can find cheap used parts?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts