My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys, it is just too cold outside today,
so I am spending a little time looking at old archives, and I was looking for the poor man's power steering thrust washers and thrust bearing solution.

I can't find anything for a 200 series tractor. :dunno:

So my question is: Is there a difference in size between the 200 series and the 400 series front axle wheel spindle shafts?

And what would be a good source supplier for them?

:thanku: Jay

·
Registered
583 Posts
Steering spindles on 400 series tractors are 1" OD thru the cast axle and reduced to 3/4" where the wheel is installed. 200 series tractors have a 3/4" OD spindle thruout the entire spindle.
Bob MacGregor in CT

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
Steering spindles on 400 series tractors are 1" OD thru the cast axle and reduced to 3/4" where the wheel is installed. 200 series tractors have a 3/4" OD spindle thruout the entire spindle.
Bob MacGregor in CT
:dunno: guess I didn't noticed that the last time I swapped wheels between the 224 and 446 after a blow-out thanks, Bob :fing32:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Bob MacGregor in CT
I second this. The rims and tires can be interchangleable but where the spindle goes thru the axle is larger on the 400 series.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
146 Posts
They have a dust cover for them I'm not sure if they are on that page or not. I think they should be ok without them as long as you keep a good quality grease on them. I'll let you know how it works and how long they last mine are on the way:fing32:

·
Registered
259 Posts
They have a dust cover for them I'm not sure if they are on that page or not. I think they should be ok without them as long as you keep a good quality grease on them. I'll let you know how it works and how long they last mine are on the way:fing32:
wseternmd,
I would deffinatly use the cup shield, It takes very little dirt to stop the mini rollers from turning resulting in skiding, If you keep the dirt out they will work good for a long time.:fing32: kubotakid

·
Registered
485 Posts
Another option is a brass bearing with graphite plugs in it.
McMaster Carr P/N 2855T5 for a 200/3000 series, 2855T7 for 400/4000 series tractors. One per spindle, no other washers needed.
Bob MacGregor in CT
I like this idea even better. The brass/graphite will take the abuse of grit and provide a slipperly surface. I am going to try and source some locally.:fing32:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow,

I ordered my two bearings yesterday after reading this thread. They arrived today! Now I just have to get the parts back from the media blaster, paint, reassemble - oh and rebuild the engine and I will be ready to go.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts