My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Table Wood Road surface Asphalt Flooring

I built a “lift” table for working on power equipment in my shop yesterday. The ramps are only about 80” long and not bowed. So I’m unable to run my 455 up it with the mower deck on. She hangs up at the top. As an experiment I installed a manual boat strap winch. That turned out to be a failure as it would take a lot of cranking to get something up the ramps and letting the mower back down with the winch is darn near impossible. I may try making 8 ft ramps out of 2x10s and a ramp kit. Or remove the deck or only use the table for other power equipment work. Getting the walk-behind snowblower ready for the season was a breeze and it really saved my back.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
I wondered who would be the first to reply and what that reply would be.....

Looks risky to me also, that's a heavy machine if anything goes not as planned.

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
I can’t see it being different than using ramps to load into a truck bed. However maybe I’m missing something.
I had a neighbor that restored older tractors for shows, he was loading a tricycle tractor which he had done many times onto his fifthwheel trailer. I don't know what happened but he and the tractor went off, tractor on it's side, he went off in an ambulance. Accidents happen.

A truck bed has sides to keep you inside if needed.

CCMoe

Reactions: Bebop

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I'm no one to talk I'm running a tractor with no breaks and I've about been hurt on it twice . Guess what still no breaks . So please forgive me . This equipment will get you killed and if I up and stop posting it did .

·
Premium Member
3,840 Posts
Not a bad idea, but a few suggestions:
#1. Anchor the table to the floor so it doesn't move.
#2. Decrease the height of the table. Use a rolling seat to access.
#3. Increase the bracing between tabletop and stringers, perhaps add legs to the middle.
#4. Put some side rails up to contain the wheels.
#5. Add bracing between the ramps along the length and brace the middle.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I can’t see it being different than using ramps to load into a truck bed. However maybe I’m missing something.
A truck has a much wider track and also has 2 + tons of ballast to keep the front from doing a wheelie. And a parking brake to keep it from moving.

·
Premium Member
2019 JD X570, 1996 JD 445, 2003 L110, 1978 212
938 Posts
I'd personally just love to have the space that table takes up to be able to work on something.

·
Super Moderator
10,663 Posts
I'd personally just love to have the space that table takes up to be able to work on something.
I have 3 workbenches that fold up flat and can sit behind a door. Top pops off, X-brace folds, top clips on the pipe. I pull them out when I need benchtop space.

Computer monitor accessory Gas Rectangle Technology Electric blue

·
Premium Member
2019 JD X570, 1996 JD 445, 2003 L110, 1978 212
938 Posts
I have a fairly large concrete pad behind my well house. This is great for teardown, cleaning etc but when it comes time for finishing it becomes difficult. The well house is packed to the hilt with fishing, boating and every possible tool I could ever need. The storage shed unless unloaded is pretty darn full with units, implements and such for yard work. I do need a garage however it just isn't in the works as of yet. Most likely another shed will arrive to go on the pad and connect with the well house in a tee formation. This way the weather doesn't dictate if and when I can work on something. I can finish pieces in the well house, but everything needs removed 1st being being brought in. If that makes sense. Or, I need to rent a space somewhere but that adds a cost I haven't been able to stomach.

Reactions: Bebop

·
Registered
509 Posts
For me it looks very handy. (y)

Of course you need to be careful to avoid accidents - always when driving on the ramps or over the grease pit. And it looks like the ramps are secured to the table with a bolt, which is essential.

For getting your tractor not to hang where ramps and table meet, you could consider ramp extenders.

·
Citizen of Earth
16,346 Posts
I worked many years ago for a mom & pop John Deere/Gravely dealership and he had a very similar work table. Looking carefully at your table, I see you have pins holding the ramps in place. That is a GOOD thing. I personally would add some diagonal bracing in the long direction to prevent the table from racking and collapsing. But the BIG SAFETY thing I would DEFINITELY add would be some sort of securely mounted stop at the end of the table so you don't drive off the end and do a nose plant on the floor. And that would be a very easy addition. If your table legs are put together with nails, I would replace them with screws. And I would DEFINITELY keep the rocking chair. Many of the world's most complex problems are solved in a rocking chair.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The table looks sturdy, but I agree with bontai Joe, that I'd personally add a diagonal bracing both length and sideways. Or piece of plywood to give similar stiffness.

Nails vs. screws is a bit double-edged issue. Nails can come out if the load is pulling them, if they are not clenched. But screws are more prone to snap when the structure is bending. I'd use big double clenched nails. Or if building this kind of table for rest of my life, maybe even bolts and nuts in most critical joints.

·
Registered
'81 Gravely tractor, 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's Gravely tractors Various Honda Power equipment
729 Posts
The mower deck would have to be removed first before you could get a tractor up on the table because it will get hung up on the deck and you will have to lift the back of the tractor up to clear the deck if it is on or it will 'High Side' right at the edge of the table where the ramps are attached.

·
Registered
'81 Gravely tractor, 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's Gravely tractors Various Honda Power equipment
729 Posts
Now once the tractor is up on the table it will be easier to work on. Put some hooks on it somewhere so you can strap it down so it doesn't roll off the table.

·
blinged out
1,609 Posts
table needs to be the height sitting in a chair under it makes reaching under the machine to work comfortable and i'd also make the center of the table a removable cutout so i could sit in the chair under there! I'd add a third ramp when needed to get my sled up there! great idea as far as I'm concerned! as long as it's built strong! having an assistant when loading would add to the safety factor or at least provide some interesting video as a learning bulletin!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts