My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had problems with the cut quality on my 50" GT, specifically leaving behind a small line of grass on occasion.

It doesn't always leave a patch behind, but it happens often enough that I wind up cutting the yard twice. :banghead3

The mower never bogs down and my grass is never high.

I've tried sharpening the blades, replacing the blades, leveling the deck, cutting higher, cutting lower, cutting only when dry. Nothing makes a difference and it's driving me crazy.

The only thing I haven't tried is using a non OEM blade, like gator.

Are gator blades worth trying? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
29,563 Posts
gators solved my uncut strip problem on my L130 for a little while. i have noticed it is worse when you start to get buildup under the deck, i guess the change in airflow makes some of the grass lay down.

another thing that causes it is mowing too fast. WOT for engine speed, but forward motion needs to be no faster than necessary if you want a pristine cut. me, i just want tall grass short so i always mow foot to the floor!

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
clean the underside of your deck :fing32:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'll check my deck underside for buildup. :trink39:

I already mow at granny speed. :mad:

This mower does have some age on it. I wonder if a bad bearing could be causing the belt to slow down, or maybe the blade shaft wobbles?
If not too expensive, I wouldn't mind replacing the whole deck or rebuilding it.

·
Plowboy
91 Posts
I solved the problem on mine by getting longer blades. I actually bought 54" blades and cu them down on my chop saw making them as close as possible without touching. I used poulan blades from rural king. The flow so much air that the underside of the deck stay's clean

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts