My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
never too old to learn
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a way to determine what model number my Troy-Bilt Pony V is. I have the original Owner/Operator Manual, Parts Catalog, and B&S Operating and Maintenance Instructions, and have even found the B&S engine parts manual pdf online, but although there seem to be four different model numbers listed on parts sites I just can’t figure out what the differences may be.

My tiller was purchased new in either 1986 or 1987 by my mom.
Serial number S186072 (Pony V)
Engine model 130297 1901-01, code 86042407 (mfr date April 24, 1986)
Photos here that I took mostly for reassembly reference.

I haven’t needed the model number for any parts purchased, I just would like to know for the sake of knowing!

Thanks!
tj

·
never too old to learn
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Roger. I have to apologize, though, for making this more confusing due to my leaving out my model choices.

Some parts sites list two possible secondary numbers for my Pony V, and these are what I’m unable to figure out. This particular site (this is an example, not an endorsement) has the various models (at the end of their list)-

5150 and 5151 are my choices for a Pony V 5HP electric start

·
Registered
39 Posts
That site you linked, also confused me, and I ended up witth wrong parts that I had to send back. If I was you I'd stick to your parts catalogue when ordering. It will save you shipping and restocking fees

·
never too old to learn
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, thanks for that. I have had phenomenal luck with my parts hunting when using my parts catalogue(s) combined with site diagrams. Honestly, when I started this task I didn’t even know what a Pulsa-jet carburetor was, and was expecting to find a gummy green float and bowl. And along the way I almost purchased a new ‘wrong’ carburetor based on some other number confusion (in the end I purchased the correct B&S OEM rebuild kit from Amazon). It has been fun getting this back to operating condition.

·
Premium Member
8,023 Posts
:Welcome1:

:ditto: on using the original parts manual...

Just went through this with a Husqvarna chainsaw recently. The woman at the parts counter was looking for the part name (tank vent filter), not the part number that I gave her. For some reason, the same part had a different name in their system, so she kept telling me that my saw didn't need one...

Mike

·
never too old to learn
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
And it's a good thing you knew the answer for her!

I can't recall how many websites I searched for the correct part number for a new gas cap for my Poulan chainsaw. It had swollen up when I went from Tru-Fuel to mixing my own gas/oil and I found online that this was a common theme: the ethanol is considered the culprit. I found a replacement number for one that should 'fix' the problem, but was very cautious to check/double check it would fit.

It does. I haven't run it with the new cap but last check, two days after swap off, it wasn't a bear to remove

New cap shown above old cap has thinner threads but seals the same.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts