My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heloo fellow members, got a question for ya. I put up a pole building a few months back and have been watching for potential leaks and have a couple that won't go away. I posted a thread awhile back and most posters mentioned that part of the problem was the sweating that naturally occurs, but the two leaks I have that won't go away come around after moisture specifically. The one is on one side of the window opening and the moisture shows up on the rim board at the bottom of the framing of the window that connects to the rim board. The other leak is on a side wall and moisture again is evident on the rim board. I have inspeced the metal work and all looks good and on the window opening the metal was cut for the window opening, J channel installed, and the metal was screwed to the wood framing with the insulation sandwiched in between. The other window opening was done the same way and no trouble and becoming frustrated. Running out of ideas and patience and thought I would ask. Thanks

·
somanytractorsolittletime
493 Posts
Question, Are the screws sealed with rubber washers? The Morton building that is the main work shop leaked in quite a few places. We pulled some metal off around the windows put silver lap joint sealer under the metal and between the metal layers and screwed it back together with screws w/rubber washers and some sealer on them also. Did the same on a leak on the roof but we finally stopped all of them. I swear water will travel uphill given the chance. good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Was the metal put around the windows in the proper order? Also if the screws have rubber washers on them and are tighten to much, it can still leak. Also was any kind of sealant applied with the trim around the window? Does it leak during wind driven rain or gentle rain? My suggestion is to take a garden hose and spray water around the problem areas. Might want to have a helper. Have them spray and you look inside to see where the water is coning in at, might help locate the problem easier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts