My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i disassembled my monroe seat and started sand blasting a few peices. i am missing the front bracket, spring and the circular plate that the spring rests on. so i guess im gonna have to make it since nobody sells them. im gonna buy my new parts from steiner tractor, so i will only need to make the front bracket and the circular plate that goes under the spring. i made myself a cardboard cut-out so i know my measurements. sill dont know how i'll make the circular plate, any ideas?

Attachments

·
Banned
587 Posts
Re: progress on my Monroe seat.

If memory serves me correctly, you can still buy the Monroe shock absorber. It was one that fit on on the rear of older cars. If you look on the shock there may be a mumber that you can call a auto supply parts store an they may get you one.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: progress on my Monroe seat.

If memory serves me correctly, you can still buy the Monroe shock absorber. It was one that fit on on the rear of older cars. If you look on the shock there may be a mumber that you can call a auto supply parts store an they may get you one.
If i call them, they can get me the bracket and plate i need?

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
The biggest benefit is the ride is so much easier on your back if you are working the tractor as a farmer would. I spent a lot of hours on a 1948 8N working ground as well as other chores on farms and the Monroe seat made those hours a lot easier.
Dave

·
Registered
680 Posts
The Monroe EZ ride seat was a great improvement over the original N series seat. They were still a pan seat but with a better suspension. When I redid my 2N @ 20 years ago I put a Grammer seat on it. It had a wrap around back rest that really helped my back during long days on the tractor. I had to replace it last year and the Grammer seats have gotten crazy $$$ but TSC had a similiar seat for @$100 been using it and really cant tell the difference.

If I was looking at a show/parade restoration then I would certainly go for the Monroe but for my pasture queens I'll stick with the cushioned seat. good luck with the Monroe seat.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the pics, but does anybody have the measurements of the front bracket. even if they could take a picture of the ruler next to the bracket would help greatly. the picture below is the bracket i made up, but the real measurements would really help greatly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Kirk, you're right, if your seat is like my 8N they're completely different than simplicity7016's. A WAY different basic mount with two large horizontal springs mounted in the bracket plus my shock is mounted at the back of the seat. Pretty complicated for a tractor seat. Comfy though.
Simplicity7016, if you have a torch, welder, etc, you could cut a circle out of some flat plate then heat and work a 1/2" X 1/16" strip of strap iron into a circle, weld it to the circular plate to retain the seat spring.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
could you tell me the exact dementions of the circular plate? i need the diameter, and the height of the lip, and the thickness of the metal. i would apreciate it greatly if i could have the measurements.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The round spring plates shoukd be the same for the 9n/2n/8n. If he doesn't get it for you I can measure mine later today.

Kirk
if you could get the dementions for me, that would be great!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
also if you would be willing to get me the measurements of the front mounting bracket( if your seat is the 9n 2n version, not the 8n)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
9" round with a 1/2" lip on the inside and about 5/8 on the outside.
I don't think the brackets will work fromthe 8n. The 9n/2n have to be different then the ones I have.
thanks for the measurement!, my freind has a massey harris 33, and it has the same circular plate on his seat. i got the measurements of it today and it is the exact same measurement as you gave me. i think i'm gonna make a trip to the local tractor salvage and see if i can find one off a massey.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Yes, They make them for different makers tractors. Some parts are interchangable and some not. If you find the bottom plate the hole may or may not be it the right location and have to be moved which is not a big deal. Better than trying to fab one up. I remember I took one off a massey at a bone yard thinking it would fit the N tractor. It didn't so rather than tearing it apart for the parts I sold the whole thing on ebay.

Kirk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, They make them for different makers tractors. Some parts are interchangable and some not. If you find the bottom plate the hole may or may not be it the right location and have to be moved which is not a big deal. Better than trying to fab one up. I remember I took one off a massey at a bone yard thinking it would fit the N tractor. It didn't so rather than tearing it apart for the parts I sold the whole thing on ebay.

Kirk
ok, the one i measured was the same so if i could find one at the junk yard that would be great, save me time on making one.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.