My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran the piping for my air distribution in my shop today.
I used all ¾” black pipe, and hung it all the way around using shallow unistrut with pipe hangers. I lag bolted the unistrut to the truss chords on the long sides and to the studs on the short sides.

I put drops with drain valves at two opposite corners, since each is a potential compressor location, as I wired both with 240v.

I used tee’s for all joints in straight runs, so I’d have the option of adding drops later if desired.

I put a drop where my welding table will be, in case I get a plasma cutter someday:

I hung my Lincoln hose reel. I have two other hose reel locations prepped, but my other reel is still in use in my Calif. Garage, and I am still searching for my third one.

The new workbench came in handy as a catch-all, for the vise when needed, and as a platform for the ladder.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Nice job Steve. Well thought out as ussual. You have a shop that is the envy of the forum, just ashame you don't have any tractors to work on lol. At least I didn't see any in the pics.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Looks great. Smart thinking using tees for joint connertors. Did you put in a flex joint between the compressor and supply line ?

·
MTF New Poster
2,163 Posts
Steevo,will those attachment points allow for expansion of the pipe?I ask this because of a shop I worked in.We had black iron pipes ran around the roof with 10 drops.The expansion from the heating and cooling made them pop really loud and would scare the **** out of people.Our pipes were held to the roof with u bolts through the steel trusses.

·
Old Stonebreaker
3,398 Posts
Steve, that's a real pro lookin' shop and pipe installation. I can't tell in the pics. Are you going to have a tee for the quik couplers on the drops and have a 6"-8" nipple w/ a drain valve below the tee for a water trap? That air system should outlast you!!
Mike

·
Once was a Super Member
13,692 Posts
Looks great!!!
Come on down and plumb mine:thThumbsU

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Kinda hurts my feelings--I'm still rolling & unrolling air hose everyday,and triping over it as well.lol.You do good work fellow!Only question now is "Where's all your junk at??" Mine looks like an obstacle course.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kinda hurts my feelings--I'm still rolling & unrolling air hose everyday,and triping over it as well.lol.You do good work fellow!Only question now is "Where's all your junk at??" Mine looks like an obstacle course.
There is one tractor in the shop right now:

It is an HT20 with a Johnson loader. (future project)

The other six tractors are currently filling up half of the 3-car garage on the house.
The bins in this pic are full of Bolens parts and there are a dozen more in the garage.
There is also an HT20 mower deck on top of my bathroom in this pic:

I have stuff spread everywhere.
I just haven't consolidated it all in one place.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Steve, that's a real pro lookin' shop and pipe installation. I can't tell in the pics. Are you going to have a tee for the quik couplers on the drops and have a 6"-8" nipple w/ a drain valve below the tee for a water trap? That air system should outlast you!!
Mike
Yes. You can see that better in this pic:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts