My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks, I finally figured out how to plug the chute on my ltx 1045. While mowing yesterday afternoon I went across some new sod that I had laid down. It was a bit on the dry side, and needed watering, I figured to mow first then water the lawn after. Well don't yah know if the new sod is a bit dry the high lift (normal) blades on the cub will lift the sod, and I lost about 2 ft or one roll before I was able to swerve off so I didn't lose any more......... The wife said there was a big cloud of dust, and I felt a bit of shaking then she settled down and was OK after that........ I was done with the lawn at that point any way, and was just making a few passes near a maple tree to pick up the whirl y birds that fall........ I have to drop the deck maybe tomorrow to make improvements to the chute for my tag along leaf pickup machine. The chute says it is made to fit about 50+ different tractors you just cut the shape you want. I feel that at this point it is so flimsy that I want to make it stiff enough so it will attach/detach the same as the regular chute of my bagger....... I have a plastic welding kit so if I need to I can add plastic to stiffen it........

·
Registered
444 Posts
Dave, wasn't that sod pinned down? j/k Well anyway, at least the chute is plugged.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never pinned sod in place. I didn't know that you should, or had to.... What would you use to pin it down with any way. I laid 300 sq ft in the front, but I watered it kind of heavy for about 2 weeks, even at that I didn't run over it with the tractor until it needed mowing a few weeks ago. The stuff in the back was just laid, and I wanted to get the lawn mowed first before watering. I have the chute up at 3" at the moment, not sure if I want to raise it any more or not yet. I know that with my sand in July I will be raising the deck to the top notch so it will get as much shade to hold moisture as it can......... When I first moved in here 26+ years ago, the only thing I had green in this yard was weeds, and wild strawberries, and lots, and lots of sand..... The bits of grass I had coming up in one portion of the yard, I stopped mowing around the 15th of June, then didn't mow it again until it went to seed. After several years I started to see more, and more grass. However back then I could not afford to water, of even feed the lawn like I am now........

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK I'll bite what is J/K????????

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
Actually it means "Just Kidding".

But who knows, maybe you're on to something.. you could invent a sod tiedown or glue for just this situation and be the next millionaire...

Might want to stick to the walk-behind mower until the sod takes root.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Your to late on that idea. You can buy things called "Sod Staples".

AJ

·
Registered
444 Posts
You can buy things called "Sod Staples".

AJ
Staples are generally used when sod is placed on a grade, or slope to help hold it in position IIRC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts