My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Have pretty much decided my next toy -- I mean implement -- is going to be a plug aerator (I have a spike aerator and don't think too much of it). Any recomendations as to brand/manufacturer? Also what kind of pricing should I expect to pay. I know Duc has the Frontier unit, it would be nice to hear from him and others about their experiences. Also, the JD website recommends a 48" width for the 2210. Do you think I could/should go wider?

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Hi JD,

Look at CCM or Corriher implement Co , the latter is where I got mine. The prices seem to have gone up a little bit, but I use a 48" on my JD 4100 (4110 twin) it covers the tracks with R4's perfectly. You will be surprise on how much power is needed when the core plugs are in the ground. You need to be 4wd, otherwise traction would be an issue in 2wd. Think of it as a giant fork in the ground, you never turn with the aerator in the ground because it will tear up your lawn and make you dig with 4wd. Straight lines, pick up unit, turn and drop back down to proceed....hard packed dry soil isnt the ideal conditions for it. I should be somewhat moist soil so you get the "goose crap effect" - You will know when you see it and thas the sign that all is well ;)

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ducati996 said:
Hi JD,

Look at CCM or Corriher implement Co , the latter is where I got mine. The prices seem to have gone up a little bit, but I use a 48" on my JD 4100 (4110 twin) it covers the tracks with R4's perfectly. You will be surprise on how much power is needed when the core plugs are in the ground. You need to be 4wd, otherwise traction would be an issue in 2wd. Think of it as a giant fork in the ground, you never turn with the aerator in the ground because it will tear up your lawn and make you dig with 4wd. Straight lines, pick up unit, turn and drop back down to proceed....hard packed dry soil isnt the ideal conditions for it. I should be somewhat moist soil so you get the "goose crap effect" - You will know when you see it and thas the sign that all is well ;)
Duc,

That's right, now I remember, you have the blue unit. I was trying to think of who the poster was that had the Frontier. Not that I'm biased towards green attachments, but I was just wondering. Anyway, I think you answered my question about width; I'll stick with the 48"

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
JDFANATIC said:
Duc,

That's right, now I remember, you have the blue unit. I was trying to think of who the poster was that had the Frontier. Not that I'm biased towards green attachments, but I was just wondering. Anyway, I think you answered my question about width; I'll stick with the 48"

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210
Nothing wrong with Frontier products - except price !! learned long ago to shop and save :) I have got a green Aerator, my tiller is the blue unit!!...I didnt care about the color. You might have to check with CCM about color options....I think Corriher can still get the green as well.....52" inch will work for you to, you got the power and i'm sure 48" will cover your tracks...52" could give you more edging ability....

I'm a believer now in this aeration thing. It has done an awesome job bringing back my lawn from death. I cant say enough on how much it has helped in this process...it also saves you seed, fert amounts because you dont need as much when aerating. It helps deliver it directly to the roots and less waste

Duc

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Duc,

CCM has a 51" core aerator for $650, and Corriher a 48" for $695. Both are different styles though, any comments about either? The Corriher style looks like it has standard tines, I'm not so sure about the CCM.

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
hey duc how much did you par for your tiller if you dont mind my asking? My grandpa has the same tractor and is in the market for a tiller but he's lookin for a cheap unit in price not quality! Thanks

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
JDFANATIC said:
Duc,

CCM has a 51" core aerator for $650, and Corriher a 48" for $695. Both are different styles though, any comments about either? The Corriher style looks like it has standard tines, I'm not so sure about the CCM.

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210
You are right JDFanatic it looks totally different -scary looking kinda :)
I would ask CCM what the advantage would be....I like how mine operates and looks. If I had to decide all over again, it would be what I have ....

CCM offers a tiller with gear drive instead of chain drive. Gear is more heavy duty, no doubt. It cost more however, so it ups to those who will make the choice. I attached the link to Corriher -they advertise their price as well..
I paid a little less over a year ago before the price went up....

http://www.ccmachinery.com/tillers.htm

http://www.corimpco.com/till.asp

I should add that my Aerator is made by Midwest equipment, along with my landscape rake (york). My tiller is made by First Choice...
There are other suppliers that carry these lines as well....

·
Registered
804 Posts
JDFanatic I have the Poker brand plugger that would also work great for your JD. It is distributed by Leinbach and you know our standards of quality. I also it cheaper than either of the companies listed above.

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thesmartfarmer said:
JDFanatic I have the Poker brand plugger that would also work great for your JD. It is distributed by Leinbach and you know our standards of quality. I also it cheaper than either of the companies listed above.
Nick,

I looked on your website first and didn't see anything. Did I miss it?

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nick,

Can you email me a brochure or link to one, as well as pricing?

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stopped by my JD dealer today and for grins priced out the Frontier plug aerator -- my, my, they are mighty proud of it -- $2138! WOW! Now I see what you meant, Duc. Anyway, I'll probably be going with the unit thesmartfarmer.com sells (thank you Nick for faxing the info) just as soon as I can talk the Mrs. into extending my Birthday privileges...

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210

·
Registered
939 Posts
Now I dont mean to throw a wrench in this deal JDFAN, but wasnt that spreader of yours a birthday present ? ROF

Just kidding! I'm sure you deserve more than one!

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
farmallmaniac said:
They making them out of gold these days?????
maniac, I'm not sure...even my dealer seemed embarrassed by the price.
horseman, even my wife isn't sure about when my birthday is...why just last week we were out for dinner and I proudly announced to the waitress that it was my un-birthday. She asked what a un-birthday was, and I said why celebrate 1 birthday when you can celebrate 364 un-dates... Anyway, I told her that our lawn won't look good until I get the aerator. Fortunately she is blonde and is coordinating "gifts" with all the family as we speak!

BTW, Happy Memorial Day! A moment of silence, humility, and appreciation for those who have born scars for this nation's freedom! :smilie_fl

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210

·
Registered
349 Posts
I got a 60" millcreek. Its the baddest aerator money can buy. The entire frame is made from 1.5" solid square stock. Its heavy. I added weights to mine. It is about 1100lbs and my kubota can just pick it up. We make a lot of money with it in the spring and fall.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have received quite a few phone calls and e-mails on this and I am sorry but I do not have ALL of our equipment on my website. I do have these aerators available and by the looks of it I have 2 sold just from this post. :congrats: While the money still has bot been recieved but the member of this forum have bought from me before and I believe they were satisfied and will be back soon. So if you need something that is not listed on my website please e-mail or call me and I will get it for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
JDFANATIC said:
Duc,

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210
Both tines come from the same source, Azzimondi in Italy.

Plug aerators are the choice for professional landscaping. The core is actually removed from the ground and depositied on top leaving a hole in the surface. This truly aerates the yard.

The spike takes nothing out of the soil and just creates a very temporary slit which closes much sooner.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.