My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
Those are some nice pictures of an old tractor and plow doing what they do best :fing32:

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
How about a 14 bottom plow?

This was taken in the early 1900's somewhere in North Dakota.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great old pic argee. i got the rest of the pics from plowing at the show resized so here they are the tractor are a 25-45 b rumely, 35-70 minneapolis, 30-60 hart parr, and a robert bell steamer.

Attachments

·
Citizen of Earth
15,634 Posts
Great pictures Bear! :fing32:

·
Administrator
11,884 Posts
Looking at those old pictures and the weight of the the old tractors. I doubt no till would have worked very well in those days. :D

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
memmurphy said:
Looking at those old pictures and the weight of the the old tractors. I doubt no till would have worked very well in those days. :D
Just driving it over a field would compact it and till it at the same time :rolleyes:

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
I don't know Randy as wide as those wheels are I'm sure it spreads the weight pretty good.

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
The wheels were all steel. I haven't got a clue to what they weighed, but you can bet the farm it was a bunch.

G

·
Ingersoll444 said:
Can only IMANGE what that sounds like!!!!

They pretty much sound like a scaled down steam train locomotive. They took about as much pre-work preparation to get going too.

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
Kid Muddy now thats a picture there. Thanks. :fing32:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Wow

Even the 14 bottom would be considered large today. Of course I doubt if they were doing 5 MPH. But 50 bottoms is a wide strip of turned dirt. Just think of the width of the headland to turn around!

You look at the old steam tractors and you just have to think BRAWN!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts