My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I just posted a few questions in a different thread but thought this was different enough for it's own. I'm planning a doing some snow plowing, and I never did this before. I'm ready to hang up the snow shovel. I've seen where others recommend wheel weights and chains for plowing but is that a necessity for plowing? I am just trying to figure out all that I would need. Could I get away with plowing for a year or so without them (if need be) and then get them when I can afford it? Another thing, would the AG tires in the back work as good as chains in the snow?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Gt, If you have any snow or ice build up you will most likely need wheel weights and chains or build a weight rack on the back. some people fill the tires with fluid,such as windshield washer fluid,something that will not freeze,or all of the above. If you are near a rural area you can often pick up automotive chains fairly cheap at farm sales and cut then down to fit.I recently got some pickup/lt truck chains that will work on my 446 that has the 16 inch tires. Automotive chains usually dont have quite as many crossbars as garden tractor chains may have, but they have worked well for me. Many people prefer tire chains with turf tires to chains with ag style tires.It basically comes down to the type of terrain and weather in your area how much help your tractor will need.

·
GET TOUGH GET A CASE!
826 Posts
To "just get by" use... ag tires and lots of weight... or just use chains on the turfs. This is what I think the minimum would be. If your a heavy guy I would go with chains as that would be the cheapest route as your weight and the chains would be sufficient.
Using just turfs will get you stuck like now, or you won't be pushing much of anything.
No ag tires will not work as good as chains.

If you need some. I may have an old set that is apart, needs to have the cross chains put on that I could give up cheap just for you. I'll get back to you on that within the next week or so. I can't remember if I have enough cross sections to make a set.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Local "big tractor" dealer installs Rim-Guard for $3 a gallon, figure $60 and you`ll gain approx 160lbs+ ( the amount recommended by the manual) Adding the weight to the tires minimizes stress on the axle bushings. Add a set of used chains, and you`ll have cost effective traction with the turf tires that are most likely to be on your future purchase.

With 160lbs of iron wheel weights, chains on turfs (8psi) and my 200lb self onboard, "grip" has never been the limiting factor when pushing a 54" utility blade.YMMV

·
Registered
421 Posts
Snotrocket...
I want your tractor. That thing is awesome.
Randy

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
Weight makes all the difference in the world.

But given your other posts and search for a Case/Ingersoll, why focus on plowing? Seriously consider a snowcaster for just a few dollars more. Not real hard to find used.

The 444, 446 or 448 make awesome snowblowers, 48" at a pass.

Brian

·
Registered
670 Posts
Snotrocket...
I want your tractor. That thing is awesome.
Randy
Thank you. :trink39: If you lived closer I'd let you take it for a spin.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Now that I have a pair of deep lug ag tires on my 448 along with wheel weights it plows snow much better that with turfs and chains. I use this machine on my own crushed stone driveway. I also have a 4018 that has a SB48 snow blower that has turfs, wheel weights, and chains. This machine is a very capable unit except for the fact that the chains leave marks on both blacktop and concrete driveways. If I had a second pair of deep lug ag tires and wheels they would be on the 4018 in winter. This past winter was my last year doing customer snow removal. Too much hastle for the money.
One customer said that I cleared the driveway to quickly and he wasn't going to pay me what we had agreed on. No regard for getting up at 3AM, my van and the trailer that hauls my equipment. He had a plow truck come in and they ripped out all of his solar lighting so he called me and asked me to come back for next year but I'm all done with customers!!!!
If you have a paved driveway and a place for the snow to be blown to, then a snow blower equiped machine is the best deal. I have cleared paved driveways with my 4018/SB48 that are 100 feet long and 10-12 feet wide in a few minutes. Getting thru what the state or town plow trucks have piled up at the driveway entrance can sometimes be a challenge.
Bob MacGregor in CT:thThumbsU

1 - 11 of 11 Posts