My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,318 Posts
I realized I didn't have a decent pic of the SunFs from the rear. Walked out to the wellhouse and took a couple. 3240 with SunFs and XT3 with Ocelots.

20210227_202931_compress93.jpg
20210227_203002_compress56.jpg

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I have set similar to these on one of my ATVs:

They were labelled good for rock, sand, and snow.
I can tell you they are not good. Not good for anything.

Issue is the spacing between the tread lugs is too small and the lugs are solid rubber and fairly stiff.
if you look at the SunFs - the lugs are further apart, and not continuous lines - they are broken up into smaller chunks along a tread-line and therefore not as stiff.
Similar with the ocelots - and those ones have double-ridges (front side and back side) on each lug.

Those flxible edges, and tread clearing properties is what you need for really loose conditions like snow, really soft soil/mud, etc

cheers!

·
Super Moderator
17,133 Posts
Well here is a Brand I run On 3 tractors 23x10.50-12 Kenda Terra Trac 4 Ply Tire any of My Tractors that had diff/lock gets a Pair of the Kenda Terra Trac 4 Ply Tire I have 26X12.00-12 On the rear of My X748 and a Pair for there 18X8.50-10 on the Front's. On My JD GX335 & Cub Cadet XT3 GSX I run the 23X10.50 -12 In the Link On the rear of My 2WD Now they do Have them In 24X12.00-12 Kenda Tires | Turf / Trailer / Specialty | K502 Just didn't have them for sale from Miller tire (y)

Reactions: blsnelling

·
Premium Member
917 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have lug tires on my tractor, and they work fine on the snow or on grass. However once I do the first pass on the pavement, the thin layer of remaining snow starts melting and icing over, and after that the tires start slipping. Kind of funny: goes fine while the snow is there, but slips on the part that it already cleared out.

This year I've got the chains, and that was a big improvement on the pavement, and perhaps a little improvement on the deeper snow too. I can highly recommend getting the rubber chain tensioners that go over the rim, they prevent the chains from flapping about.

The other idea that worked well was to put a cinderblock into each bag of the bagger. It hangs behind the tractor, and shifts the weight efficienly to the driving wheels. Another trick is just the driving technique: if the wheels are spinning, lean as far back as you can on the seat. That moves part of your weight backwards and improves the traction.

The thing I haven't figured out yet is how to make the front wheels grip better, so getting going is no problem any more, turning kind of is :) There aren't even the lug tires in that size. Maybe should try chains on them as well.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'm still torn on what tires I want to go with. I do not like a round tread profile. I also do not like a tire so big that it's up into the wheel well. It looks disproportionate to me. I want the tire with the best snow traction, but would also work well with chains if need be. My gut is leaning towards the SunF. I just hope it's not too rounded. The pics of this size look much flatter than the other sizes shown.

SunF 24x10-12
SunF.jpg

Roadstar 25x10x12
Roadstar.jpg

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
If I was in your shoes, I'd go with the SunF.
What I have on my 455 (rear wheel drive with diff lock) are shown below, and this year i didn't bother with the terra-grips but added another 100lbs of weight on the back. Worked great all winter long.
Take note it's NOT the all-trail tire, which has more of zig-zag treads like the ones in the center of the tire, and fewer of the individual lugs like on the edge of the tire.
This tire has more individual lugs and less zig-zag, and that is very important for snow.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
What tires is that? Good looking tire.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
I'm still torn on what tires I want to go with. I do not like a round tread profile. I also do not like a tire so big that it's up into the wheel well. It looks disproportionate to me. I want the tire with the best snow traction, but would also work well with chains if need be. My gut is leaning towards the SunF. I just hope it's not too rounded. The pics of this size look much flatter than the other sizes shown.

SunF 24x10-12
View attachment 2501101

Roadstar 25x10x12
View attachment 2501102

SunF 24x10-12
View attachment 2501101

Roadstar 25x10x12
View attachment 2501102
I like the Roadstar style. They work good in forward and reverse and don't seem to tear up the yard as much as the ones patterned like an Ag tire. In my experience, the Ag type tread pattern does not work well in reverse.

·
Ejl in Pa.
470 Posts
I like the Roadstar style. They work good in forward and reverse and don't seem to tear up the yard as much as the ones patterned like an Ag tire. In my experience, the Ag type tread pattern does not work well in reverse.
Ag tires are good for plowing in the field and not snow and ice.

·
22,779 Posts
If you're looking for traction on snow, there is no substitute for ballast weight. Start with 100 lb per foot of blade width and go up as needed.

Do not include the weight of the operator. That constitutes bonus weight. The teenage kids are going to have a spinning good time if their 400 lb lineman for the Green Bay Packers father included his weight as part of the ballast.

Note that normally, we don't get much packing snow in this locale, but we do get "dry" snowfalls of 18 - 20" in most winters. My GT was set up for those occasions with 650 lb of ballast, including a 250 lb 5' back blade on the 3PH.

Reactions: blsnelling

·
Super Moderator
7,318 Posts

SunF 24x10-12
View attachment 2501101

Roadstar 25x10x12
View attachment 2501102
I have the SunF tires listed above. I was surprised to see them round over quite a bit when I mounted them on my 3240's 7" wide wheels. They'd probably be a bit flatter on 8.5" wheels like your 3240 has.

The flattest shouldered tires I've ever seen are on my 3205. They are Sedona Ripsaws. 26x10-12.

·
22,779 Posts
There is more to tire selection than just the tread pattern and shape at the top of the tire. The important shape is where the rubber meets the road, and that is determined by the air pressure in the tire and the load applied to the tire. An under inflated tire will have more tread penetration at the shoulders than in the center of the tread. An overinflated tire will have more tread penetration in the center of the tread than at the shoulders.

Remember that the load imposed on the rear tires of a GT changes when a plow or snow blower is raised or lowered, by several pounds for a blade, by 100 lb or more with a blower, and if the tool in use is a FEL, by several hundred pounds.

According to the specs published by Sedona, the Ripsaw 26x10R-12 tires are rated for 440 lb @ 7 psi. Unless the tire states a higher max air pressure, that makes them good for a light GT with a K62 or K66 hydro which have max axle static load ratings of less than 700 lb and overloaded for a medium GT with a K72 hydro with a 1001 lb axle rating, and out of the question for a heavy GT with a rear axle rated for 1800 lb max load. The 1500 lb rear axle in my MF1655 is overloaded only when the bucket is down hard enough to raise the front tires off of the ground, The rest of the time, at worst, the load on the rear tires is a bit less than 1500 lb when carrying a normal winter ballast load of 650 lb.

Keep in mind that while wheel weights and liquid ballast don't count for load on the axle, they do count for load on the tire, The 26x12-12 tires on my GT are rated for 1760 lb @ 20 psi.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought a 3240, dedicated to plowing snow. It currently has the original tires with chains. Have any of you ever had luck with different tires and weight only? I don't like that I'm marking up my concrete and asphalt. I'm wondering if there's a tire setup that would work with wheel weights, loaded tires, and or suitcase weights added.
I got a cub cadet 122. It has about 150 lb of weight and no tire chains. I've plowed plenty of snow that way with a little less tire pressure in the back wheels. I use turf tires and have had a couple of slips but I've done pretty good.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts