My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought a 3240, dedicated to plowing snow. It currently has the original tires with chains. Have any of you ever had luck with different tires and weight only? I don't like that I'm marking up my concrete and asphalt. I'm wondering if there's a tire setup that would work with wheel weights, loaded tires, and or suitcase weights added.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
i used the terra-gruips (rubber chains), with about 100lbs on of weights - to avoid scratching my driveway.... but then I got HDAP tires (cheaper knock-off brand but with same tread pattern), and added 150-200 lbs more weight to the back of the tractor - and this year I didnt even put the terragrips on....

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Depends on where you live and what kind of snow you usually get. Heavy, wet, packable snows are a problem for most non chained tires.

I have 24" rear HDAP tires. Most of the snow I get here is fairly dry as it falls most of the time. I'd say over 90%.
My drive being flat, I have no trouble with just the tires and no extra weights. My tractor weighs in at 760lbs, plus blade about 125lbs plus me at about 195lbs, the whole thing is about 1,000 pounds with me on it. In the occasional heavy wet stuff, I have to work the plowing pattern a little differently and pay attention so as not to go where I have not yet plowed. Heavy and wet snow over 5" will just pack, and become slick little "cups" that trap even aggressive tread tires.

Seems like the rubber chains might be worth a shot if you need the extra grip without scaring your drive surface.

Reactions: blsnelling

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have an X580 with HDAP, 84 lbs of weights and I weigh 210. Tried working chain-less with posi traction and it was fine on flat concrete with 2-3" of snow. Anything more stopped me as soon as the blade loaded up. Or, when the front wheels dropped down 1-2 inches at the end of the pavement the chainless setup was especially traction-less trying to reverse. With the chains back on I'm fine but make some scuff marks. The rubber chains pictured look good to me. Thanks for posting.

·
Super Moderator
7,318 Posts
@WrongDoug uses Kenda Bearclaws on his 3235 and said they work good plowing. I have the SunFs above in 25x10-12 on 7" rims. If your rims are stock they are probably 8.5" wide.

I have 200lbs of wheelweights, 165lbs of WWF in the tires, and 150lbs of weights on the hitch. I also have a 250lb loader on the front so some of that ballast is just to offset that weight.

I don't plow here but did some snow scooping when we had 7" of snow and traction was fine. Also hauled 200+lbs of oak firewood uphill on a pallet with pallet forks in the loader bucket and it did fine.

·
Premium Member
6,924 Posts
All Trail / Field Trax in snow are better than AG's

·
Registered
557 Posts
Here they are doing what I set this up for.

Those tires do very well for that.
Great job!

P.S. - Are you doing yaahd woik in yer jammies there...? ;)

Renster

·
Super Moderator
7,318 Posts
Those tires do very well for that.
Great job!

P.S. - Are you doing yaahd woik in yer jammies there...? ;)

Renster
Thanks. I did have directional Polaris 24x10-12s on it but they were terrible in reverse. These will back uphill out of a holler without a problem or using the diff lock where my directionals gave me fits.

The GT weighs ~1600lbs without rider as ballasted. The PJs are kinda my jam maaaaaannn...

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Like @Steve Urquell mentioned, I run Kenda Bearclaws on my Cub 3235 in lieu of chains. I tried chains on it and they just didn't work as well as I needed them to. I really need to add more weight, but as far as snow, the Bearclaws work excellent in my experience.
IMG_20201222_154300511.jpg
IMG_20201222_155458177_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Those Kenda Bearclaws look good. What size are you running? They would go well with the fronts I posted above.

I'm pretty sure these are just knock off Bearclaws.
Tires_4.jpg Tires_5.jpg

Would you think they would work any better or worse than the Sunf or All Trail? I do like how square the Sunf is, putting more tire on the ground.
Tires_1.jpg Tires_3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,318 Posts
Those Kenda Bearclaws look good. What size are you running? They would go well with the fronts I posted above.

I'm pretty sure these are just knock off Bearclaws.
View attachment 2492820 View attachment 2492821

Would you think they would work any better or worse than the Sunf or All Trail? I do like how square the Sunf is, putting more tire on the ground.
View attachment 2492822 View attachment 2492823
I had a set of your top left ones on my 3240 and replaced them with SunFs. They had no reverse traction but great forward traction. They were labeled Polaris but I also have an exact set on my Cub XT3 labeled Ocelot I bought from Chapmoto.

Here are the XT3 with Ocelots and 3240 with Polaris. Both 24x10-12s on 7" wide rims. My factory 3240 rims were cracked.

0617182011-1_compress62.jpg
1223181837a_compress37.jpg

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So you're saying the Bearclaw styled tires have poor traction in reverse? How was the traction with the SunFs?

·
Super Moderator
7,318 Posts
So you're saying the Bearclaw styled tires have poor traction in reverse? How was the traction with the SunFs?
Perfect. I have trouble backing up out of my hollers. Had a few sketchy moments nose down, diff lock on, and spinning.

With the SunFs I backed up and out with no diff lock.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts