My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird. For the first time in 5 years we had enough snow topped with ice to put the plow on the GT and move snow. For five years I put it on in the fall and removed in the spring without being used. Last fall I didn't, so was out in the barn removing deck, putting on plow, chains and adjusting. Another bad one coming in tonight through Tuesday. It actually felt good to do that again. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
We had a Sears suburban that the original owner waxed every week and kissed goodnight, I know strange but he sold us every implement with the machine. One year I hooked up the snowblower instead of the plow, there was never more than 3 inches that winter.

·
Registered
1998 Dodge Durango 4X4
199 Posts
Weird. For the first time in 5 years we had enough snow topped with ice to put the plow on the GT and move snow. For five years I put it on in the fall and removed in the spring without being used. Last fall I didn't, so was out in the barn removing deck, putting on plow, chains and adjusting. Another bad one coming in tonight through Tuesday. It actually felt good to do that again. :)
Pretty strange but it's a good thing you put it on now, it sounds like you're going to need it this time

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: What a mess: Kept things cleaned up till last night, then snow/rain/sleet, got up to being totally iced in, couldn't even get off the front porch. Porch steps looked like frozen waterfalls. Spread ice melt around but didn't do much. Vehicles look like they're encapsulated in clear plastic. Another dose coming in tomorrow night and Friday. Well, we're retired, no place to go and being in the country have plenty of whatever we need. Moved a generator from the barn up on the porch JIC, but so far no power issues. Feel sorry for the folks in Texas and south of here. C'mon Spring!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Kinda makes you wonder what people were smoking when they coined the term "global warming" seeing as Texas is frozen.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The term is correct. The overall average global temperature is rising.
However, they really should not use the term "global warming" in the media. The way they use it makes it sound like winter will disappear soon and the summers will be unbearable. That is not what actually happens. The result of this average global rise in temperature, has been to upset "normal" weather patterns world wide. So Texas can freeze, the middle east can see snow, hurricanes 🌀 become more powerful and frequent, and my area gets more rain than normal.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: 40's yesterday and today, slush on top of ice, used the GT to move slush and the chains broke the ice. Finally exposed some gravel so the sun can have a chance to accelerate melting.

Don't know if it's "PC," but I prefer the term Climate Change as the Climate is definitely changing. e.g. I remember as a kid in the 50's it was understood that snow would cover the ground by Thanksgiving and we wouldn't see it again till March. As previously stated, first time I've dealt with snow in six years and this is on the same farm I grew up on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts