My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 CC 2145 with suitcase weight and chains. I am considering purchasing AG tires and a Johnny Bucket Plow. I am concerned about how much I will be able to push with this combo. I am wondering if I should just try to find a snow blower attachment. I would prefer to save some money and go with the plow, but don't want to find myself spinning tires and not pushing any snow!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I know they make the attachments for that tractor but IMHO the tractor isn't built heavy duty enough to manage those attachments without a LOT of premature wear on the machine. They are basically a light lawn tractor, if you do any "hearty" work with them... You're gonna start breaking stuff.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Depends on a few things;

- length of driveway
- slope of driveway
- surface of the driveway
- how deep will you let the snow get before you attack it

My driveway is 1/4-mile with a few "good" slopes (you can get a sense of the slope from my avatar photo). It would be impossible to plow this without my locking differential.

I don't allow the snow to get much more then 8" deep before making a run. The flat-paved section of my driveway near the house is easy to plow without the locking-diff. Ags or chains are absolutely required. The gravel sections require that I keep my speed up and I have to make many runs to get it right.

·
Super Moderator
17,117 Posts
I would not say a 2145 is a lite lawn tractor IT is basicly a Built on the same frame as 2186 or 2206 But with smaller rear tires but it has the same trans as it bigger brother's in the 2000 series Garden tractors The 2145 can handle a Blade or a Blower. Stick 23x9.5on the rear and you basicly have a 2186 or a 2206 with lower engine HP. I use to plow snow with a JD R70 rear engine rider with a 30inch snow blade in Northern New York(FT Drum Area) on a 200ft Gravel drive and as long as you didn't wait for the Build up of snow it did very well. I then upgrade to a Murray LT with a 42inch dozer balde and finally a JD240 with a 46inch Blade eventually I did get a snow blower for the 240 so It would be easier on the wife when I was deployed. Because she only liked to have to Plow after the snow had fallen. I currently used a JD X485 to plow snow in IL and I also use a 1970 Cub Cadet 106 with a snow blower on it just to blow away my snow piles on the side of the drive. To be honest though once you use a tractor mounted Blower you will never want to go back to the Blade if you don't have to. You will still have some tire spin with a Blade on your 2145 even with weights and Chains especially in heavy wet snow But that just mean your pushing to much in front of the Blade all you do is Back up and Take a smaller bite with the Blade. With Gravel drives I prefer to Have a Blade .With asphalt or Concrete either one is Good But with a Blade on those surfaces with a a Blade I use a rubber edge it will then Clean the snow to the Pavement. When I do use the Blower it does a wonderful job on the Drive. If you want to save money you will be all right with the Plow just remember to take smaller bites. I usually Plow with the Plow straight ahead down the middle of the drive Then angle left or Right for the next Passes Just remember to Push the snow off the drive far enough for the next snow fall with the blower you will not have to worry about the piles of snow on the side's of the drive or really damaging you yard on either side of the drive unless you Put a rubber edge on the Bottom of the Blade. Good luck with what even you decide to get eiother one will work and either one has certain limitations.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a 2542, about 100 ft driveway, not much slope, I use chains,and 4 suitcase weights,does good job,but do not let depth of snow get to much, before plowing.About 6 inches at a time. Phil.

·
Registered
78 Posts
One thing you will most likely experience pushing snow with a JB on your tractor is that it will tend to take weight off your rear tires. The more snow you try to move (lift) the worse that is. Not saying that it wont handle it but the weights you place on the rear wheels will be important. Personally, I doubt if the ag tires will make much difference when you already run chains.

Mike in CO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts