My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in the process of plowing and replanting a couple acres of pasture. Its been 60-70 years since it was last done. Its clay soil and thick heavy sod. We used our Farmall M pulling a john deere 44 plow for the bulk of it. The ends of the field were cleaned up with our Farmall SC with a 2-point single bottom plow. Once the plowing was finished we ran a disc over it and then tilled. The next step was to level by pulling a pair of H-beams over the tilled ground.

Attachments

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,232 Posts
We are in the process of plowing and replanting a couple acres of pasture. Its been 60-70 years since it was last done. Its clay soil and thick heavy sod. We used our Farmall M pulling a john deere 44 plow for the bulk of it. The ends of the field were cleaned up with our Farmall SC with a 2-point single bottom plow. Once the plowing was finished we ran a disc over it and then tilled. The next step was to level by pulling a pair of H-beams over the tilled ground.
ya could of had a good 'plow-day' out there.. let others help ya.. I would have taken a single plow around the area & told the guys any area inside it needs plowed.. let them do it to it

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya could of had a good 'plow-day' out there.. let others help ya.. I would have taken a single plow around the area & told the guys any area inside it needs plowed.. let them do it to it
A plow day would be fun, but we weren't sure what we would find when plowing. I wouldn't want someone to damage a plow. We have some bigger rocks and there used to be some old buildings/chicken barns in this field. We did find several rocks and chunks of metal, but managed to avoid any damage.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are a couple more pics of the equipment that we are using on this project. The Farmall H and spreader were used to spread last years composted cow manure on the field.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Any idea what the model number is of the FH single bottom plow..?? Wouldn't mind having one of those, if it had the Super Chief bottom.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any idea what the model number is of the FH single bottom plow..?? Wouldn't mind having one of those, if it had the Super Chief bottom.
I'm not sure on the model number. It looks like the C-20, but I don't know if they came in a single bottom.

How do you tell if it has the super chief bottom?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DJ, I took the camera up and snapped a couple more pics of the plow. It looks like I can make out model "C-10 plow" on the beam and the mold board has an SC before the part #. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We got 6 tons of lime spread on the field today.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a short video of the truck spreading the lime.

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
That would be a Plow Chief bottom with the separate plow point like that. The Plow Chief, has the point & share made all in one.

I have a C-11 Two way plow for mine, and also has the plow Chief bottoms. They do a great job, but, the points for the LH side are like hens teeth.

Pretty darn handy for plowing the garden, and plowing it all one way. No dead furrows, or unturned strips.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That would be a Plow Chief bottom with the separate plow point like that. The Plow Chief, has the point & share made all in one.

I have a C-11 Two way plow for mine, and also has the plow Chief bottoms. They do a great job, but, the points for the LH side are like hens teeth.

Pretty darn handy for plowing the garden, and plowing it all one way. No dead furrows, or unturned strips.
That C-11 would be nice to have. We have a ford rollover plow, but it still needs a few parts and repairs before it can be used.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts

I meant to say the Super Chief has the one piece share. Apparently not enough caffeine this morning, when I typed that...

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We got the field planted today. I forgot the camera so I will get some pics tomorrow.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,156 Posts
Looks like fun!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like fun!
Hows it going, esnb74? Its a lot of fun working the old equipment and the cows will enjoy the new pasture.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shot some pics of the planted field and tractors.

Attachments

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,156 Posts
Hows it going, esnb74? Its a lot of fun working the old equipment and the cows will enjoy the new pasture.
Life is good. Not much time for work on any of my projects, but I am making sure I enjoy plenty of time with my kids (5 & 2). Always time for projects another day! I enjoy seeing the pictures of you working the old stuff!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts