My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Still plays with tractors
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my first ever plow day this past weekend. We're talking garden plow, not snow plow here. Let me tell you, if you like to plow or even want to try, get to one of these. It's the most fun you can have legally. Anyway, I've always known that, if your plow is set up correctly, you shouldn't have to fight the tractor. I've never experienced that type of plowing bliss so I obviously don't know how to set the plow up properly. I was starting not to believe that until I saw a guy there who was showing off a little I guess. It was impressive none the less. He would go down the furrow with no hands, plowing straight as could be. We were all having problems with the corn chaff getting caught up in the plows and he would just get off the tractor and clear it while the tractor kept plowing! Has anyone else ever had their plow dialed in to work that well? Is so, share your secrets. I did ok with my tractor but I would love to dial it in for spring plow day if I could. I was constantly turning to the left so maybe the plow was trying to take too big of a bite. If anyone has a good system for setting up a plow, I'm sure there are more than a few folks here who would love to learn.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I use car ramps in the shop to set up my plow. drive the tractor's left tires up on the ramps, lower the plow till it just touches the floor and make adjustments there. the tip of the plow should be slightly pointing toward the right front tire, maybe 10 degrees off center.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
The only trick I know is to plow the first row,then from there on put right front tire in it and let'er rip.I does work better with narrow ribbed front tires though.There's a link somewhere here on "how to" if memory serves.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
http://www.brinly.com/manuals/Brinl...ngaging/PP-1200BH_PP-51BH/L-1043_PP-510BH.pdf

That is the manual for the Brinly Sleeve Hitch Moldboard Plow............tells you all that you would ever want to know about setting one up.

I set mine up in my driveway this past spring before going to my FIRST ever plow event and straight off of the trailer it was doing pretty good but with a a few tweaks by one of the Plow Guru's at the event, it was slinging dirt with the best of them.:greendr:

·
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I never heard about the front pointing slightly to the right front tire but it makes sense. Thanks also for the manual but my plow is a three point set up. It may be the same, however, in the pointing and leveling of the plow. I need to see if I have the paperwork for my plow. I doubt it but stranger things have happened!

·
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That helped a lot Sonny, thanks. I decided to see if I could find my plow book. Wasn't even sure if I had one but, sure enough, I came up with it. Some of the pages are ripped away and missing so the one you posted in that sticky will be just the ticket. just in looking through that book I can see what my problem is. Trouble is, all plowing is done for the year so I'll have to wait until spring to fix this! Thanks again everyone!

·
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Plow day. Huh. I miss living in PA, I really do.

JayC
You don't have these up where you're at now? Gee, I thought they had them from coast to coast. Come back to PA. We'd be glad to have you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts