My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
NOT ENOUGH MUD OR SNOW!!!
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is! Runnin out of time so I made the mount today for the Craftsman 48" dozer blade mated to the Massey 14. Just started to cut and weld. I am going to use the hyd cylinder to lift, lower, and force down as well. Yes, I used an old mule drive for part of the mount but I have another one. I still have to make a mount for the lower end of the cylinder where it will mount to the A-frame and reinforce it a bit too. Can't believe the little 110 gas mig worked with only a couple of bindings of wire. Now I have to make the mount for the AMF 2-stage blower for the Craftsman.

Attachments

·
22,338 Posts
That's a well reinforced A-frame, but how come so far out in front? I don't think my FEL bucket sticks out much further (48" from front spindle to cutting edge), and it's a bear for close manoeuvering.

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is out quite a bit, 34" from spindle to cutting edge. With the wide A-frame I stuck it out for 2 reasons. Steering clearance for the mount, and not having to weld to the frame, just the mule drive. When it was on the Craftsman she stuck out a ways too. I have all open areas to plow so I don't normally have to worry about close proximity. Still wish I had enough $ for building the loader though. Could get a lot more use out of it than just a blade.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
It is out quite a bit, 34" from spindle to cutting edge. With the wide A-frame I stuck it out for 2 reasons. Steering clearance for the mount, and not having to weld to the frame, just the mule drive. When it was on the Craftsman she stuck out a ways too. I have all open areas to plow so I don't normally have to worry about close proximity. Still wish I had enough $ for building the loader though. Could get a lot more use out of it than just a blade.
With the hydro cylinder and how beefy you made it, wouldn't be hard to just add a clamshell to your blade. I know it's not an FEL, but make moving dirt/mulch, etc around much easier until you can get an FEL. Just an option...that's what I will be building soon.

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am still thinking of putting 'wings' at an angle on the ends of the blade. I have more cutting edge left over from the Meyers plow and have plenty of plate steel to use. It would make it easier to do the 'final pass' while pushing snow. Once everything is working the way I like then prob build the wings when I get some time. Is this what you meant by 'clamshell', putting wings on?

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yay! DONE! For now. I still need to do a few reinforcements but other than that she is ready to push if the white crap starts falling. Ran out of oxygen in the torch set so any projects will have to be put on hold till i refill the bottles. I should get a second set of them!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bottles swapped out and ready to cut and weld some more! The guy at Praxair said he now has rebadged lincolin welders in yellow tin for $300. Has rotary wire and temp controls and a spool gun for alum for $100 more. I may just have to talk the wife into getting it for me for Christmas!!! Now back to work.

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DONE! For now till I ram something and break it LOL. Down force works great. The float position on the spool valve still jumps out of float sometimes but still works. This thing has set in the garage for months so things may need to be run for a bit to get all the cobwebs out.

Attachments

·
22,338 Posts
Should do the job for sure!

Well done!

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys! :thanku:

Tahoe99, it is 5 1/2 from floor to bottom of mount. I have a taller cutting edge on it right now so it kinda tips downward from the blade to the tractor. I did it that way due to tire size in the front going from the stock 16" tall to 18" tall tires. Haven't got the tires yet because I have to put a heater core in my truck so funds are limited. Hope to have them before the snow hits. Looking for 18" tall for 8" diam rim in something like the SNOW HOG tread type. Not sure what style of tread I will put on the rear yet. Prob just put on my 25" tall ATV tires with chains I had on the other tractor last year. Here is a pic of the 18x6.5x8 i found for about $35 each.

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
Looking good Eric! We got our first little dose of the white stuff yesterday. It was just a "winter's coming" notice. But still there were like 5 cars off the road up around my house. You see a lot of that until people switch out their bald tires and realize it's winter and they need to slow down now.

Anyway, that plow mount is definitely cool. I have a 42" Snowbear plow and a spare mule drive housing and some angle iron. I'd have to get a cylinder and I'd want a power angle. Or at least a remote angle lever I can do from the seat. There's nothing I hate more when plowing than getting off the ATV and wrestling to angle the **** blade.

Once the white stuff hits you'll have to post a few pics of how it performs for ya.

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It will eventually have power angle once the funds are a little better. It does suck to hop on and off to pivot all the time. I will have my wife take a pick while I'm wingin the snow. I heard ya'll got some the other day. Kinda wish we had some to play with too. Not too much though, I haven't got the blower on the Craftsman yet. I hope to start on it in the morning if I don't have anything else to do (honey do list).
:( Oh well, gotta keep her happy if I want to sleep indoors! LMAO

·
Registered
367 Posts
The wings make a big difference in getting the job done. It does not take much on each side to help hold that snow in for pushing.

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ever think of a winch from harbor freight? I still have mine for the Craftsman that will lift/lower the snowblower. The lift rod broke about 1/2 hr into the first snow last year on a new plow setup. I have been very happy with this winch so far and no problems with it yet. I got the 3000k one. I had some of the smaller ones and they would burn up or break in the gears. If you get one get the 3000k one for durability.

Attachments

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Murphy, I will prob build the wings once I get the snowblower mount built for the Craftsman. I too think it would help out a ton and with the way the Massey's run I don't think a few inches wider would make a big diff on her.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts