My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the plow, after UPS botched the pickup...a couple of times. Anyhow, if came today, which is what I had expected, (since it was supposed to be del'd yesterday). Put my brain if "fab" mode and removed the hood of my MGT to allow me the room that I need to fabricate mounts.

Now, as simple as these mounts are, there won't be anything simple about them. Just the way they are mounted, I think would put undue stress on the frame, so, a little bit of bracing is going to be needed. I am still debating as to whether I should weld a couple of beads on the mounts for a little added strength. Any advice?

All I can do now, until the actuator arrives, which will be on Monday by, you guessed it, UPS(!!), is to get the plow mounting done and get it bolted up.
I'll be posting more pics as I go along, so, if anyone is thinking of installing a plow...this should help.

This week, I'll be hitting the auto body supply houses in search of paint. Right now, I've narrowed it down to Hemi Lime Green, Hemi Orange, Candy Apple...whatever.

PPG's paint code for J-4 Lime Green Poly is 2319. Started in 1971.
PPG's paint code for V-2 Hemi-Orange is 2186. Started in 1970.
PPG's paint code for J-5 Sublime is 2128. Started and ended in 1970
Stock colors would make it look......well...stock. And stock SUCKS!! I want this tractor to stand out! Not stick out, but stand out.
Bob

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Looks like you're progressing quite well. I would add a few welds to the braces, as you said it will add a lot of stress to the frame. Just wondering how thick is the frame?

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
Looking good. 1 Vote for candy apple, close to stock I know, but it's hard to go wrong with candy apple red.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, those are some heavy brackets. Nice work!
I don't want them to bend! LOL

Looks like you're progressing quite well. I would add a few welds to the braces, as you said it will add a lot of stress to the frame. Just wondering how thick is the frame?
The frame is .125" and it will need to be re-enforced in places. I was debating on the welds. I'll see how it goes with the re-enforcing. I might have some 1/8th" stock that I can add to the frame rails, if not, I definitely have some 1/4"! LOL

Nice work. Do the tires rub at full lock in either direction though? Looks like they might.
It's very close, less than an 1/8th of an inch and I'm not too comfortable with it, as the tires do flex some during turns. Good eye, mistavp05!

After looking at it, the plow also has an "alternate" mount. There's additional mounting on the plow that was fabbed by someone prior to me owning it, cuz just under it, looks to be the original mounting, which I just might use, giving me an additional 2" or so on each side. It just might work out better, mounting the brackets inboard, using spacers.

The orange outlines the piece that was welded on, hiding the original mounting.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking good. 1 Vote for candy apple, close to stock I know, but it's hard to go wrong with candy apple red.
Did you know that RED is the most expensive color? And Candy Apple RED!? More $$

You guys ain't liking the Hemi Lime Green, huh? How 'bout marblized Hemi Lime Green?. I did this to my bike in Candy Tangerine over black marble and the results were, well, you decide.

I don't want a paint job that just....."lays there". I want it to say, "WHOA!" lol

Bob

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Yea, I think I'd use that original mount. But Dad Gum!, you sure aren't gonna have any bending going on with your brackets on the frame. I like the idea of coming inboard of the frame and putting the spacer in between the brackets. It might actually be stronger that way. I mean it'll tend to beef up the frame thickness if I follow your inside of the frame design.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
I type too slow.....when I got done with that previous post, it came back and all I saw was a motorcycle tank paint job! I thought my laptop done went and crapped out!

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I type too slow.....when I got done with that previous post, it came back and all I saw was a motorcycle tank paint job! I thought my laptop done went and crapped out!
:sidelaugh Nah, Hank. I'm just thinking of doing that kind of paint job on my tractor, using Lime Green. I don't think anyone likes my using Lime Green. :crybaby:

Yea, I think I'd use that original mount. But Dad Gum!, you sure aren't gonna have any bending going on with your brackets on the frame. I like the idea of coming inboard of the frame and putting the spacer in between the brackets. It might actually be stronger that way. I mean it'll tend to beef up the frame thickness if I follow your inside of the frame design.
I think you're right, it would be stronger, as I could use the front crossmember for additional support. Plus, by going inboard, the brackets won't interfere with the hood mounting or being an eyesore and looking like a cheesy "add-on". I'm cutting that welded on bracket off tomorrow and relocating everything inboard!

mistavp05 brought it to my attention about the front tires in a lock-to-lock turn as to the rubbing. They don't rub, but it is close, too close, and these tires cost money.

Bob

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
I wouldn't tell you what to do, but.........Lime Green.........well, I did like the tank paint job, even if it is a little wild for a rider. Well maybe if you put some chrome stacks on it to pretty it up....to match up with the wild Lime Green.

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
That paint job is awesome!!!!! And the lime green would be just fine, it would be a baby Steiger! Lol

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
There is only one green out there that I pray to all the gods in all the heavens that you never use. Ever.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't know what (a) Steiger was, Dave, and I'm pretty sure you weren't referring to Rod Steiger, so, it must have been some piece of equipment, so, I looked it up.
Now that I see that color on a tractor, while it doesn't look bad, it doesn't stand out. I think I'm gonna re-think the lime green. My other half suggested purple. I.....don't......think.....so!

There is only one green out there that I pray to all the gods in all the heavens that you never use. Ever.
THAT'S IT!! THAT'S IT! THAT'S IT! **** BBY, I knew you'd come thru with the most kick-*** color!! You da man!! :sidelaugh

Well, I found some time to move the mounts inboard. Kinda sucks doing it this way, as my mill is still down, oh well, gotta make concessions. I also cut the "adapt-a-mount" off so I could use the original mount and everything is lining up nicely. I even found a set of pins to use to mount it to the tractor. Monday, I'll have the actuator and I can design how I should mount that.

Oh yea...the exhaust is toast! Stacks, mufflers n'tips, baby!!

Bob

Updated pics of the inboard mounts:

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Yea, now that is looking way better! Although the Aluminum tubing might be a little weak for spacers, but for now they'll work. And I'm no engineer, they might be fine. But the concept is looking good. Real good. Can't wait to see the actuator in position.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What aluminum tubing? That's solid 6061! I didn't have enough 2" stock it to make a full length spacer, so, I had to make separate spacers for each bolt from scraps. It would have been nice to mill the spacers so they fit perfectly, but, I don't have electric yet in my shop and won't have for a couple of weeks, maybe sooner.

After I drill the mount out and shape them, (again without the mill), I'll re-install them and run a few welds.

Bob

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Wow, they were so shiny I thought it was aluminum and probably tubing......please continue....you d'man.... That front end isn't gong anywhere then, And I need edumacating on the 6061 reference. Don't know what that is. But it will be a nice set up, of that I can see.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Wow, they were so shiny I thought it was aluminum and probably tubing......please continue....you d'man.... That front end isn't gong anywhere then, And I need edumacating on the 6061 reference. Don't know what that is. But it will be a nice set up, of that I can see.
6061 is the alloy for the aluminum. Yep solid 6061 will do the job but ifun you gots to go buy those pieces this thing is gonna get expensive QUICK:crybaby:

Here is the WIKI pedia on alloys for aluminum. Makes a good read and sheds some light on the hows and whys of correct material selection. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_alloy

If you still want to know more about aluminum I still have a dozen materials text from college here on the shelf. They will cure insomnia :bonk:

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And I need edumacating..........
Edumacating? I gotta learn you English too? :sidelaugh

6061 is a grade of aluminum alloy, sometimes referred to as aircraft grade aluminum, which doesn't really mean anything, but, sounds as impressive as **** to people who don't know any better. After all, would you rather buy a part made from 6061 aluminum or aircraft grade aluminum? 2024, 5053, 6061 & 7075 are the main grades of aluminum alloy, with 7075 being the strongest...and the most expensive. There are other grades, but these are the main ones.

I don't think that front end is going anywhere, either, but, sometimes, I can get abusive with my equipment, besides, I need the extra strength for weights. Using the box blade with 140lbs of concrete blocks on the blade, gives me the same turning radius as the Queen Mary. A weight box on the front would help a lot, especially when the plow isn't on. The upside is that I can wheelie across the yard. All the way across the yard....bout 300ft+.

Bob

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
I done gradiated 6th grade! My favorite line from the Beverly Hillbillies, that Jethro always proudly proclaimed!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts