My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a general discussion on prepping equipment for plow day activities, can be tractors, trailers, plows, weights, trucks, things to bring etc....

I'll go first! I haven't plowed for a few years at an event for personal reasons, but this year I plan to make a couple. So this year is a changeover of equipment for me since before I had limited plowing equipment (still turned dirt though!). I bought a couple of 3 pt. hitch plows and both need cleaned and plow share polished before using. Going to do some painting to turn both of them into "Deere" colored implements. My new to me steel wheel weights need to be set up for plowing, 2 on one side and one on the other to increase traction. Got to ID all the tools and fluids to bring along. Got new Ags for one of my machines and had both sets loaded with rimguard. Have several changes to my trailer which needed new tires so it got those. I have some MTF unique modifications for my trailer as I will be displaying an MTF Banner at the events as long as the folks setting it up allow me to! (You are all invited to come have a picture of your tractor under the banner if you see my trailer at a plow day, even if I'm in the field plowing!). Also please stop by as I will have a plow day log for members to sign even if you didn't bring a machine!

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Just a general discussion on prepping equipment for plow day activities, can be tractors, trailers, plows, weights, trucks, things to bring etc....

I'll go first! I haven't plowed for a few years at an event for personal reasons, but this year I plan to make a couple. So this year is a changeover of equipment for me since before I had limited plowing equipment (still turned dirt though!). I bought a couple of 3 pt. hitch plows and both need cleaned and plow share polished before using. Going to do some painting to turn both of them into "Deere" colored implements. My new to me steel wheel weights need to be set up for plowing, 2 on one side and one on the other to increase traction. Got to ID all the tools and fluids to bring along. Got new Ags for one of my machines and had both sets loaded with rimguard. Have several changes to my trailer which needed new tires so it got those. I have some MTF unique modifications for my trailer as I will be displaying an MTF Banner at the events as long as the folks setting it up allow me to! (You are all invited to come have a picture of your tractor under the banner if you see my trailer at a plow day, even if I'm in the field plowing!). Also please stop by as I will have a plow day log for members to sign even if you didn't bring a machine!
I hope your Plow Day event goes off as planned. With as much panic floating around about COVID19 (ridiculous!!!) I'll be curious to see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
30,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Testing new to me 3 pt. hitch plows setup before plow day!! Good thing too, my top link is too long and doesn't allow them to dig into the ground.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,134 Posts
I have some MTF unique modifications for my trailer as I will be displaying an MTF Banner at the events as long as the folks setting it up allow me to! (You are all invited to come have a picture of your tractor under the banner if you see my trailer at a plow day, even if I'm in the field plowing!). Also please stop by as I will have a plow day log for members to sign even if you didn't bring a machine!
How old is that banner? Had one displayed back in 2010/2011 at our GT pull. Have to see if I can find picture.
Good luck and have fun getting set up!

·
Super Moderator
30,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How old is that banner? Had one displayed back in 2010/2011 at our GT pull. Have to see if I can find picture.
Good luck and have fun getting set up!
We have a couple of them running around between the staff so they can be at different events, but this one is new and I had it made. I had one at PA plow day back in the timeframe you are talking about when it was over in Danville.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,134 Posts
Here's the one we had. Date was August '09.

·
Super Moderator
30,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's one of the older ones! Haven't strung up my new one yet but it is 4ft x 12 ft with the new site banner on it.

·
Super Moderator
30,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So decided to do some inspection on the 3 pt. plows I picked up from January. Really not much can be wrong on one right? Some coulter issues are definitely on the agenda!! The one in the jaws horizontal is flat which is correct, the one vertical not so much! The holders have just a bit of rust! Those are supposed to turn about 5 degrees left and right. Not sure these will break free!

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,134 Posts
That's one of the older ones! Haven't strung up my new one yet but it is 4ft x 12 ft with the new site banner on it.
I had sent it back to SJ and had event and date with names on the back. Wonder where it is now.

·
Super Moderator
30,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When is your plow days and are they still o?
Checking on it. I don't have a FB account (and don't want one) and they have a FB page, so I asked another member if it is still a go. Whatever I find out I will be sure to post on the forum.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
It won't be allowed to take place until at least April 30th. They stopped all nonessential businesses and activities. They are not going to let us have fun plowing with our tractors during the COVID-19 war.

When you guys plow does somebody plant the land you plowed? If they do they might need it plowed way before you will be able to have plow day. I don't think plow day is happening this year. We have to stay safe and be extra cautious. Live to plow another day.

·
Super Moderator
30,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well until we hear from the organizers, since it is in Montour county which isn't on the stay at home list, we aren't going to rule it out. If we hear from the organizers or Montour county gets put on the list it will be posted here.

To answer your question about planting the land, yes they do plant behind us.

Edited on March 31st:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Great information, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
30,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Just to make sure that I have the bases covered, I received word today that PA Plow Day at Watsontown for April 17 and 18, 2020 has been cancelled. So if you hadn't started getting ready, you have a bit of a reprieve until next year, see you then! And everyone please stay safe this year!!

·
Super Moderator
30,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So there are other plow days even this year that folks need to get prepped for, so put up things you do to prep for plow days.

·
Super Moderator
30,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It won't be allowed to take place until at least April 30th. They stopped all nonessential businesses and activities. They are not going to let us have fun plowing with our tractors during the COVID-19 war.

When you guys plow does somebody plant the land you plowed? If they do they might need it plowed way before you will be able to have plow day. I don't think plow day is happening this year. We have to stay safe and be extra cautious. Live to plow another day.
It is official now that the PA Plow Day for April 2020 is cancelled. Time to get ready for the other plow days in the fall and for next year!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts